What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

My friend told me about it and he told me to go to WinCo. I picked it up and use it as a dipping sauce and sometimes for turkey burgers. I think I might add some Hungarian paprika to it or something to give it some spice.

And TBH, I have yet to try it with fries. lol

Thanks for the idea though. It needs some help imo.

1 Like

Agreed. Same with Malaysian.

Traditional kaiseki
High end tempura

We shall see… Tempura Endo Gion soft-opens in Beverly Hills next month.

As for traditional kaiseki - From what little I know about kaiseki, it’s hard seeing a truly old-school kaiseki-ya make a go of it in L.A.

2 Likes

How about an authentic (well, authentic to) New York egg roll??

Ok, no big deal to you guys from here, but those of us from NY and little NY (Miami) are STILL having withdrawals.

I found a joint in the valley, a couple of years ago, Emperor Express, they are as close as I have found… But… Not quite.

Traditional Kaiseki: http://kappohana.com/

Interesting. Is it good? It doesn’t look good.

It is good. It was 1st reported by the much missed Exile Kiss. I don’t know how far that I would drive for it. I happen to live in the area and go occasionally when I want Japanese and don’t feel like driving to Fountain Valley. I’ve never had the Kaiseki there.

I have to agree. It doesn’t look that good. I see Izumidai (Frozen Tilapia) in a lot of the photos of Sashimi, which is never a good sign.

For Kappo style food, I had some good meals several years ago at Kappo Sui in Costa Mesa. There was always a daily specials menu written in Japanese that usually included some unique dishes.

New Moon makes a pretty good New York egg roll.

3 Likes

there’s a fucking joint nearby called Yazawa with Wagyu beef I think. might be good too.

Endo is the joint that used to house the now defunct and one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, NOUVEAU CAFE BLANC.

and that ain’t no fucking joke fuckers !!! :slight_smile:

Are your reserving for me or what?

It IS a BIG deal

1 Like

Yo, Jerome, good to see you over here.

I’m guessing, based in part on what I’ve heard from folks running Turkish restaurants in LA, (which are inevitably signed as “Mediterranean”) that any high-end Turkish restaurant would find itself at least incessantly picketed on Armenian Holocaust Remembrance Day, right after the annual protest at the Turkish Consulate.

Not high end, but Zuma Kitchen on Westwood Blvd. has been scratching the Turkish itch lately. Excellent (no, make that SUPERB) baklava to boot…

Ex-NCB Chef Tomi Harase is cooking Italian-Japanese fare in Huntington Beach at Ceppo these days. Have you hit that proverbial sh*t up yet?

Why, I had no idea you liked Japanese cuisine so much, CB! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reserve for me too for fucking crying out loud.

very few are doing non kebab stuff. Serra etc.
In addition several of the Mediterranean restos are Armenian run and owned. One here in the Valley is called Ararat.

So let there be a protest. The fact is that in the Armenian grocery stores I always see tons of Turkish products - one on Allen in Altadena/Pasadena has akide s,eker - the hard candy straight from Turkey. One of the nuts and dried fruit stores in Glendale has pistachios grown locally (relatively), and from Turkey, and from Iran (via Canada). We had a taste test - half of the folks voted for the Iranian ones, the other half, the Turkish. Sadly, our California pistachios while the biggest had the least oil and the least flavor.

Sad.

via google looks like they have the infamous Tavuk Goksu (if I’m right, it’s the sweet milk pudding with chicken breast fibers).