What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

I’d like to see a really good high end Turkish place, with things like Hunkar Begendi.

Also, I miss bit o sweetland and there amazing hungarian style handmade chocolates.

As for lebanese that someone mentioned - I think Marouch, Carrousel, and Carnival are all fine.

YMMV.
OH _ i want a place like the recently closed Giang-nan (de yue lou) in Monterey Park. It was my fave Huaiyang Chinese restaurant. The others i’ve tried were much more heavyhanded.

And I’ woiuld like a good Piemontese Italian place. I’m really bored with the Tuscan fascination in Italian places.

1 Like

Sweets-wise:

Pierre Marcolini for chocolate
Ladurée for macarons

A super rich, super custardy, golden French vanilla.

Does this exist?

picture ???

reference location to the actual place somewhere in the world ???

hmmmm, I take it you don’t mean frozen custard, but maybe some sort of similar thing.

25-30 years, Godiva of all places used to make a really nice one. It was pricey at around $3.50 for a tiny scoop. But any French vanilla that is loaded with egg yolks will do, the kind that is dense and golden in color. Sort of like the egg tart of ice cream.

wow, sounds fucking dope.

I guess that soft serve crap from Godiva is the only stuff they offer now ???

An example of why we will never have good Louisiana food here. This, apparently, is an acceptable Chicken and sausage Jambalaya (from Les Sisters in Chatsworth). It’s with crumbled Italian sausage and mushrooms.

But then again les sisters, to be fair, is the worst of the utter fucking worst on the current scene in LA, Calif.

What are the best places in LA, in your opinion?

Little Jewel.

Orleans and York.

they are both even if sort of inauthentic miles above les sisters.

Harold and belle’s.

Café Creole.

and that’s no fucking joke.

sad about the departing of one of the best fucking Cajun-creole joints in town: café n’awlins.

looks like (a) whats in the bottom of the sink after I do dishes or (b) what I find in the backyard when my dog eats too much people food with his kibble. Sorry Sisters.

Good thing we have the little jewel which has many good dishes tho i haven’t had their jambalaya.

The Palace Grill in Santa Barbara is probably the best in SoCal for me for stuff like etouffee and Nola desserts.

1 Like

Does NY or SF or _______ have decent Southern Louisiana chow?
Not that I know of.
Houston probably does but I have never spent time there.
Gulf seafood tends to stay in the Gulf. Gulf people tend to stay in the Gulf. The rest of us just need to visit the Gulf.

Good point @CiaoBob This is a pretty specialized kind of cuisine with local ingredients and know-how. I recently had a turtle soup in Dallas – well, it was gumbo-ey, and turtle soup but not the elegant dish you can find in Nola. Soft shell crawfish in socal…haha.

That being said if you get a hankering for etouffe or bananas foster and happen to be in santa barbara lemme know what you think of the palace grill…

This. A Piedmontese place would be so fantastic. Give me some plin and some rabbit.

Been to both Orleans and York and Little Jewel. I prefer Orleans and York, except for the bread.

Haven’t been able to try the Jambalaya at Little Jewel because it’s, apparently, only served on Fridays.

I’ll eventually try Harold & Belle’s and Cafe Creole, but the idea of paying so much for Jambalaya at H & B kinda hurts.

Went to dinner at the Palace Grill. I wasn’t impressed.

I’m with @CiaoBob, though. I’ve never had anything close to real Louisiana food outside of Louisiana, except for at the old LV Commander’s Palace. My last trip to NOLA in January reaffirmed how unique and unreplicable the food is.

fair enough points – even at all our “best spots” it’s hit and miss with menu items.

I wouldn’t say it’s one of their strengths but, in comparison to that pic and description…

Do any places here have fry sauce? Preferably one that’s similar to the spicy fry sauce that you get at the Boise Fry Co. restaurants in Idaho. Thanks!

Tastes like thousand island to me, and not spicy at all. The one you are describing sounds much better.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s basically thousand island and ketchup. The one at BFC has paprika, I think, and some other stuff in it and it’s so damn addictive! I could probably experiment and make it myself, but it would be nice to have a spot here that serves it with some good fries.