What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind and weekends work great for me.

A good sicilian or grandma slice from Queens or Brooklyn. Haven’t come close to finding anything approaching the good stuff from back out east

Wisco the foccacia with cheese and sauce at that scarpetta sandwich shop panninoteca is nice in that vein. But I hear ya!

I, too, wish we would have good New Orleans food. I loved the CP in Vegas because it was the best New Orleans food I’ve had outside of NOLA. I was sad to see it close. The Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney is a Ralph Brennan restaurant, but, the few times I ate there, I thought it was just OK.

I don’t think we’ll never have good Creole or Cajun food here because we simply can’t get the necessary ingredients at reasonable prices. We’ll never have oysters at less than $1 each, or plentiful and inexpensive shrimp, blue crabs or crawfish, snapper, redfish, etc. I wish we would - even Little Jewel and Orleans and York are close, but the cabbage on the po’ boys at Little Jewel is wrong, and the bread at Orleans and York is too dense. If Orleans and York used the par-baked Leidenheimer that Little Jewel uses, I think that would be about as good as it could get outside of New Orleans.

Also, while I haven’t tried a lot of Cajun/Creole places in LA, none of the places I’ve gone to come close to replicating the flavors. I always feel that restaurants in LA are making Creole/Cajun food that they think LA people will eat, rather than what it actually is. The number of places that serve “jamablaya” on rice is enough proof that these people don’t know and aren’t making real New Orleans food.

3 Likes

Get down to Taco Maria for tasting menus… Maude is sometimes below 100. Trois Mec is only 85.

1 Like

Trois mec was biggest shitshow ever last time I went. Over a hundred bucks a literally 2 or three ounces of protein. Tee’d up annoying upsells. Good thing in and out was so close.

Thanks will have to give it a try next time I’m in BH.

Greek restaurant - or even a Turkish restaurant.

Good Chinese on the Westside.

Moti Mahal and Woodlands (near Picadilly).

Is there something “ethos” (for lack of a better phrase) that characterizes London vs. LA indian food? I ask b/c there were a fair number of people on CH that would ask, “Where can I get London-style Indian food in LA?” And one poster responded, “Trader Joe’s actually comes close.” So I assume that’s not “just” about an elevated preparation but that there’s some other sort of Platonic ideal/archetype associated w/ London Indian food.

BTW, your pics look DELICIOUS. ::sigh::

Meatball sub for sale too even if not on menu. Choc chip cookies quite good too. Enjoy.

Cheese curds

2 Likes

Funny, I almost picked Moti Mahal myself.

From my pre-trip research it appeared most of the really good and more unique Indian eats is in 2 distinct communities in the London suburbs. I didn’t have the time to make it out there so stuck with something closer to city center.

Turkish. My coworker from Detroit would chime in with Lebanese.

We have been to all the places you mentioned. Maude was fine and I don’t think it is worth the prices they charge now days. Trios Mec was fine when we went last year, but you felt like you didn’t get much food to feel satisfied. The last time we had tasting menu at Taco Maria, back in september was fine but did not wow us as the previous year. You can blame all the wonderful meals we had in Spain back in May.

This is what my reading indicated, as well (well, that the better food was out in the 'burbs somewhere). Since my trip wasn’t food focused, I couldn’t make it out, either. But next time… =)

Love food in Spain. Not that fancy stuff but just the simple seafood.

Add gambas rojas and cigalas to foods I’d like to see in LA.

2 Likes

Oh, the gambas rojas. It makes me cry thinking about it. The baby squid too. Basically all the amazing seafood. Spanish are lucky.
Porthos, I have been wondering about you for months on Chowhound. Now I know where you are.

1 Like

Bagels. Just dependable, fresh, honest-to-god NY style bagels.

I’m more likely to find a copy of the Declaration of Independence at a flea market, I know.

4 Likes

trader joes

Mr_JJ…Cheese Curds all year long at TJ’S???