What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

A few noteworthy Farmers Market offerings for folks to keep an eye out for this time of year. :slight_smile:

Hollywood Farmers Market

This past weekend's heatwave (still ongoing) helped to control the crowds (there was almost no line last Sunday).

Arnett Farms

Honey Punch Pluots:

Like the name says, these were just solid, pure sweetness. Very good, tasty sweet Pluots recommended by the farm hands. :slight_smile:

Flavor King Pluots:

But, the highlight this week were the Arnett Farms Flavor King Pluots! The Flavor Kings are back in season (FTC Alert!). :blush:

For those that may not have tried them, Flavor King Pluots from Arnett Farms are arguably some of the very best Fruit offered from our California farmers each year, absolutely stunning in its flavor profile (hence the name). This is the 2nd week they were offered (the 1st week (2 weeks ago), the farm hands told us to wait (another reason we like Arnett Farms so much, their honesty). But this past week, they were ready to go.

Flavor King Pluots are an Apricot, Plum and Cherry Fruit combination, and when you let them ripen and take a bite: A surge of incredible Cherry and almost “Strawberry” like flavors come through, layered, complex sweetness and a touch of pleasing tart from the skin to balance the bite.

Outstanding! :heart: :blush: :heart:

Black Mission Figs:

Arnett Farms’ 2nd wave of Black Mission Figs are in season now as well. The season is short, so make sure to get a basket while you can! Out of all of the Farmers Market stands at Hollywood Farmers Market, Arnett Farms’ Black Mission Figs have been consistently the best tasting, sweetest Figs year after year. And they are truly like fantastic candy right now! :heart:

Arnett Farms
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM

Tenerelli Orchards

Snow Giant Peaches:

And in a blink of the eye, the beloved Sugar Giant Peaches are now out of season, and the next varietal up are the Snow Giant White Peaches. Being the very first batch, we had the farm hands pick them out for us (they are usually on point). For this batch, 3 out of 4 of the Snow Giant first batch were very good, beautiful sweetness, juicy, delicious. :heart:

But 1 of the 4 we got this week was just under ripe. We let it sit out on the kitchen counter for 5 days and it still wasn’t ripe (and tasted a bit raw, sort of like @TheCookie’s experience last week). Hopefully this week (2nd picking) will be back to normal (as they usually are). :slight_smile:

Tenerelli Orchards
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday & Saturday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday & Saturday

7 Likes

The flavor kings, cotton candy and emerald grenades have all been great the last few weeks at Tenerelli. So good.

3 Likes

I had this issue w/ my favored R&D white and yellow peaches at the Brentwood FM last wk. And what was esp weird was that they ripened “unevenly” (so a small part of the peaches turned mushy and mealy, while the rest remained slightly under ripe).

We had some Arnett yellow peaches, and they were fantastic! But they had also been blanched and cooled (leftover peaches that didn’t fit into the cobbler).

2 Likes

That corn sets the bar.

Like minds @Starchtrade.

Made w/Thai Chilis from Culver City Farmers Market.

13 Likes

Nice! Is that Koregusu? Did you use awamori or shochu?
I see a couple garlic cloves in there.

1 Like

@TheCookie need a few more :hot_pepper:, too much unfilled space.

3 Likes

Fuck that corn is so good.

Haha… like minds meaning pickling peppers. Mine are just Thai Chilis, Garlic, White Vinegar (possibly a little Rice Wine Vinegar, can’t remember). True @Sgee, I definitely could’ve used more.

1 Like

Not sure what type of specific peaches R&D is selling, but they said today that last wk would be their last FM for the season. Not sure if this applies to other vendors, but sending this out as an FYI.

1 Like

Do we get any of the fabled Brentwood corn down here?

Thao Farms pea shoots :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: - I wok fried this with garlic and salt, finished with a bit of chicken stock.

11 Likes

Yum! That plate of greens would go for $15 at a Canto seafood restaurant lol

2 Likes

That was my favorite item at Bistro Na’s lol

What farmers markets does thao go to? Hollywood?

Hollywood, Torrance, and Saturday Santa Monica

2 Likes

I usually go to Torrance on Saturday or Hollywood on Sunday; Torrance has been more convenient and I like eating lunch after nearby recently.

Wadatsumi x Kagura x King’s Hawaiian bang after, among other high quality options.

5 Likes

Thao Farms ‘sprouting’ cauliflower is excellent! Stir fried with fresno and serrano chilis and whole garlic cloves.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Thao Farms, but wish I was…lol. Their baby brocolli is also fantastic right now.

11 Likes

I know most here are rocking their Harry’s Berries tattoos but I wanted to mention that McGrath family farm had Seascape strawberries. today they tend to focus on other things in Santa Monica, so when they bring in berries I always take notice because they are usually excellent.

They used to always be cheaper as well but it’s hard to compare since HB stopped using baskets and went to clam shells

3 Likes

First batch of strawberries from Camarillo. Very sweet despite the size of each berry, I usually like the smaller ones. Not peak season yet. Sorry for the picture. I couldn’t find my uni.

16 Likes