What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Looks like melons are in season b/c I saw them all over the place today at the Brentwood FM.

I’ve never tried this, but we bought one today. They also had “ambrosia” and “Napoli” (I think?).

4 Likes

PSA: Regier’s says that this is their last wk for peaches. Not sure about other farms, but… you might want to get them while you can.

1 Like

Not sure what black magic Rosewood uses to grow their strawberries, but they are tiny and still incredibly sweet. No, not peak season sweet, but way sweeter than any strawberry has a right to be right now.

Watermelon is fantastic. Got some slices from Bristol Farms (the flesh looked so red and tempting), and they taste as good as they look. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had Monterrey pears from Terry’s (I think that’s the name?) for the first time. Kind of looks like a cross between an asian pear and a yellow pear, texture closer to a regular pear and SUPER sweet. Other interesting finds this week were white pomegranates and pineapple guavas.

1 Like

The beef steak tomatoes at JCK Farms have been fantastic. Someone let APL know.

https://jck-farms-online.square.site/

Torrance and Brentwood Farmers Market.

4 Likes

Tamai Farms orange cherry tomatoes :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: sweet like candy

3 Likes

Harry’s Berries’ first day at the Venice Beach Farmers Market! Incredibly, there is no one in line, which means…

All the gaviotas are mine to buy! LOL

Jyan Isaac Bread stand also hawking their wares.

A lovely little FM by the beach…

14 Likes

How were the gaviotas???

Very good, but obviously not peak season “candy” good yet.

1 Like

Ken’s Top Notch has daisy mandarins and cara cara oranges. :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

First in-house foray into preserve land, featuring Ken’s Cara-cara. Those are excellent oranges

10 Likes

Mamalade?

Yes marmalade

Started to see some tomatoes and more widespread strawberries at SM today, but for the most part it’s still citrus everywhere. Picked up some pea tendrils at the Finley stand that looked interesting; never cooked with those before.

4 Likes

Rapini at Mr Thao’s :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

10 Likes

A quick blanch and a little drizzle of oyster sauce on those babies would make me happy

2 Likes

They are closely related to mustard greens.

Tarocco blood oranges from JJ’s Lone Daughter Ranch at SMFM. Juiced them and drank with some cachaça. So good.

15 Likes

Seeing increasing numbers of strawberries at the SM Wednesday market. Still dominated by citrus though; really enjoying the golden nugget tangerines I picked up today. Only place I saw blood oranges and cara caras was JJ’s (very possible I glossed over them elsewhere). The place I get my mulberries said they’ll probably have them in May. Some really gorgeous cauliflower, artichokes, and peas.

6 Likes

Incredible artichokes at the Venice market last week!