What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

First Harry’s mara de bois of the season today at SMFM. Also starting to see a definite slowdown in the variety of citrus, so that season is probably coming to a close soon.

4 Likes

Did you buy a box of harry’s or waiting till peak season?

Waiting is impossible :slight_smile: I’d say about one out of every three is incredible, peak season-level honey sweetness.

2 Likes

Is Harry stretching themselves too thin? curious after a couple of expensive duds…

3 Likes

Yeah I have had a couple of duds that made me sad. I always wait for super sweet reports from FTC to go out and buy.

4 Likes

I’ve been buying strawberries by the bulk from farmers stands in Ventura and they have been incredible. I go to the ones by the Los Olivos golf course.

4 Likes

Partner and I have purchased 1-2 boxes of Harry’s over the past few mos and were sufficiently pleased, so perhaps we lucked out.

During peak season last yr, we bought from Roseville (I think that’s what the vendor’s name was) at the Brentwood FM and were VERY happy w/ them. Cheaper than Harry’s, IIRC. Perhaps not quite as sweet as the best Harry’s, but more than close enough for me.

1 Like

I usually buy them after 2 weeks of warm weather and sunshine. Seems to work out just fine for me.

5 Likes

Bought the Smith Organics (maybe a tier below Harry’s) yesterday. A couple good ones but it ain’t high season yet.

2 Likes

Getting a shipment on Friday from Camarillo. Hope they are good.

2 Likes

Confirming the strawberries up in the Ventura Camarillo area are peaking. Still larger sized berries but smaller than 2/3 weeks ago. Sweet deep berry flavor. Red all the way through. Enjoy.

10 Likes

Wow might just have to go to fm and buy some

Brokaw avocados.

Went to Citrin tonight and the strawberry dessert was bonkers. Asked where the berries were from and they were Montereys from Tamai. So good.

14 Likes

I haven’t bought berries from Tamai in ages but Josiah has been going to the market as far back as i can remember i trust he knows his product! So I’ll have to check them out. Haven’t bought strawberries yet, usually wait until mid season

That dessert looks fantastic btw

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on that! Just picked up a batch this morning. The ripe ones (darker red) were amazing - from the sample size of a few, I like them more than the Gaviotas I’ve gotten from Harries this season.

13 Likes

Hot take: Tamai >> Harry’s Berries so far this year.

8 Likes

I actually think that has been true in years past, too. Only, if my 5-year-old doesn’t see the “Harry’s” carton, she turns her nose up. We’ve created a monster.

10 Likes

Haven’t had Harry’s yet this season but the last couple months Tamai have been on fire for me regardless of the variety. Blackberries have been sugar sweet as well.

2 Likes

Btw last wed Tamai was completely sold out by the time i got there at 9am! :cold_face: i was frozen out. So if you want them to right at market opening :strawberry:

3 Likes