What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Random but this particular tomato is sweeter than any of our stone fruit this week

6 Likes

The plums I got from Arnett’s last weekend were phenomenally juicy but had little flavor. The yellow peaches were pretty good after a few days.

The white peach we got from Regier’s 2d ago was quite respectable. Still more subtle that I would prefer, but clearly sweet (and, again, insanely juicy).

1 Like

This was more a statement on the sweetness of the tomato rather than impugning our peaches and nectarines :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah! I guess i was just reacting to my disappointment in the stone fruit we’ve had so far this yr. We have had some good tomatoes. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you ever grill peaches? Pure heaven.

No, but I think I’ve seen it either here and/or in restaurants. I imagine the carmelization would be lovely, as you’ve said. The white peaches right now seem good, but they’re so delicate that I don’t want to grill them! Maybe w/ a yellow peach.

Do you just toss them naked on the grill cut side down for a few mins? Or is there any prep or special directions ?

Bob is our grill king and he’s not completely sure if he grills both sides or not. I brush with melted butter and sprinkle a little sugar. Some of the photos look like both sides were done and some just the ‘skin’ side. Here’s one:

2 Likes

Weiser Family Farms melons are absolutely delicious right now.

3 Likes

Was this the first wk you’ve seen them at Weiser? They had none at the Brentwood FM last Sunday.

I have missed the last couple weeks so I can’t say for certain, but looks like @chaumein go their hands on one a couple weeks ago.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing them for almost a month at Mar Vista FM, they are v. good right now.

1 Like

Anybody know how much weiser charges per pound? I just paid 3 bucks a pound at cookbook and that got exorbitant quick.

You know… I’m not sure, they don’t really have price/pound written out for a lot of stuff at Mar Vista FM. Based on my recollection of what we’ve paid for a melon it would be in the $2-3/lb range. Their melons aren’t super size right now and we’ve gotten some small ones good for 2 people for <$5

1 Like

i actually think you’re right. when I can, I get over to HFM and I feel I don’t see prices, I just pick melons and pay them.

Persian Mulberries are back at Tenerelli at the Santa Monica Wednesday and Saturday markets! They (generally) won’t be on display. You’ll have to ask to be added to the list. $15 for a small clamshell. Absolutely worth it.

2 Likes

I had the sweetest small cantaloupe from the marche de Halles in Biarritz yesterday . Haven’t had a good one in years. Anyone scoring any good melons at the Torrance fm? If so what stand?

1 Like

Weiser’s yellow watermelon pretty tasty right now. I also got a yellow skin white flesh one (?) that was calling me but the little french cantaloupes were awfully inviting.

I been hitting up this mulberry tree the last month or so and noticed a ‘weird’ mulberry next to it. Looks like its a persian. I’m about to do some picking.

3 Likes

The max amount is $15/melon (for large watermelons). Most smaller melons in the ~$5 range

Biarritz is a much likelier place to find a good melon than California.

I’ll have to check out Weiser when I get home. I’ve gotten skunked so many times by ones that look good and smell good but don’t taste good.

1 Like