What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Thanks. I think I’m going to bang Sonoratown into PRD. Can’t wait to get my hands on all the plums and Pluots first.

3 Likes

This was my plan, but I woke up late.

Plenty of time. I’m leaving in 15 mins. Might be home by 12:30 to finish watching golf.

1 Like

PRD and Needle!

Edit: Needle is closed on Sun

If amboy is open you can do a bang^3

2 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

@PorkyBelly has a good list, but FYI, Howlin’ is closed for the entire 4th of July weekend.

Consider Pearl River Deli and potentially…

• Superfine Pizza (Pepperoni!)
  • Guerrilla Tacos
  • Holbox
  • Lasa
  • Konbi
1 Like

Hi @js76wisco,

Oh also make sure you ask the farm hands for their recommended Pluots and Plums and Peaches today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spent $55 at Arnett Farms but giving away some to friends and family. This is my haul. Got everything the farm hands recommended.

Weiser farms for potatoes and sugar cube melon.

Thao Farms for tomatoes and Asian greens.

Harry’s had lots of gaviotas.

Hit up a bunch of other stands as well. Great market. I think it’s only my 2nd time to the Sunday Hollywood market.

8 Likes

I took your advice and went.
I’ve got gaviotas and maras for snacking today.
I got each of the peaches and nectarines from Tenerelli. I’d had hit Arnett, but I went a little over at Tenerelli. I’ll try Arnett maybe next week…the selection they had was super impressive!
Weiser had some great looking potatoes that I will inevitably roast this week…they picked a selection of their fingerlings for me.
The kids have been on an orange kick, so I got a 10 lbs bag from the citrus vendor at the end of the market.
Market was a little slow today and one of the vendors had heirloom tomatoes for sale for $3/lb. She says they normally sell them for $4 but she reduced the price because lack of foot traffic.
I got some bread from across the way to make some pan con tomate as a snack later.
It was a little warm today…I immediately wished I had come with the gang of chowpups to make them carry my stuff.
Lots of social distancing at the HFM…the only inconvenience was having to do the long walk around to get to the entrance…and I forgot to have my parking validated. Still a successful trip!
I want to spend more time at Thao farms and a few other vendors next time.

6 Likes

I brought my red wagon but I was pretty much dripping sweat by the time I left. Good social distancing. A little wait to get into the market, maybe like 15 mins. I almost made a small detour to La Monarca.

3 Likes

I need to travel with a cart next trip there (or my little gang of bag holders)! I dropped a sweat just making the detour to the new entrance while masked up.
No wait when I arrived a little after 10:30. I’m sure folks suffering post 4th of July fireworks parties helped by sleeping in and skipping the market entirely today.

1 Like

Hi @js76wisco,

Nice! Beautiful selection of stone fruit from Arnett Farms. :slight_smile:

And yes! Weiser Farms’ Sugar Cube and Sugar Queen Melons are amazing! We picked up one and will report back (but last year’s and the year before’s were fantastic).

Hi @attran99,

Nice haul of groceries today! :slight_smile:

Let me know how the Harry’s Berries Organic Mara de Bois Strawberries turn out! That’s one thing we miss about the pre-pandemic times, when you could sample the fruit before you bought it. We enjoyed our Mara de Bois last year, but I think it was only for a few weeks out of the season.

We also got Tenerelli’s White Peaches today! Can’t wait to try them after they ripen for a day or two. :blush:

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999

Have you been to Alhambra Farmers Market? Not as well known as Hollywood and SM but it is very good if you are looking for more “Chinese” stuff…all types of Chinese greens, yellow watermelon. I know many people who enjoy this market

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Thanks for the reminder! No, we haven’t been to the Alhambra Farmers Market. Usually just driving out to Hollywood is far enough (and covers most of what we need). :slight_smile: But it’s good to know. I’ll have to visit one of these days and visit some more SGV restaurants afterwards. :slight_smile:

The farm hands at Arnett at the Brentwood FM recommended the black splendor and the white nectarines, so we got a similar haul (just a lot less, though!). :wink: Also got some white peaches from R&D since they consistently had the best peaches at Brentwood last year (IMHO).

Social distancing at the Brentwood FM was excellent. Not sure how much going on July 4th helped (since much of the city seems to have left). One-way entrance and exit, and someone specifically stops you before you enter to orient you on the rules and to remind you to mask (and specifically say the mask must be above your nose, too). You also have to read a sign w/ the rules and specifically say that you agree to follow the rules. YES!

Very few people once inside, which was sad only b/c my preferred fish vendor (Tropical Seafood) said that business has been slow during the pandemic (she also said that Brentwood FM is VERY strict about distancing and such). I actually personally didn’t mind the smaller crowd at all.

Only demerit was that Arnett allowed people to pick at the fruits (do other FMs allow that?).

3 Likes

I usually ask the vendors to pick for me even before the pandemic. Works fantastic.

1 Like

Thao, Weiser and Arnett allowed me to pick my own fruit. In hindsight maybe it’s better to not allow everybody to pick through the fruit and produce. Each vendor asked to only touch what you’re buying.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

For Hollywood Farmers Market, most of the stands pick for you. I think a few let you pick your own, but it’s the minority.

But also, what @attran99 said: We almost always defer to the farm hands, even before the pandemic:

Let them choose the ripeness (if you want something ready for tomorrow vs. mid-week to eat), and they’ve been spot on every week we go. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My son asked for a bowl of fruit at 7:43am. He finished his whole breakfast then polished off strawberries, 2 peaches and 2 pluots. I might be out of fruit by tonight at this rate.

4 Likes