What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Flat of strawberries from Las Posas in Camarillo. Beautifully ripe and sweet. Peak strawberry season. Thanks to my friends parents for bringing down for us.

7 Likes

I forgot to take pictures but picked up tomatoes, corn, nectarines strawberries, and cherries at Tapia Bros. today. They are probably the safest place to shop I have been to as it is all outdoors and there is plenty of space to distance. They are great people and the products is always good. I was doing a run for the neighborhood and ordered 14 ears of corn. They gave me 17. They almost always slip in something extra. Definitely worth it if you are in the Valley.

6 Likes

Literally pass this place on the way to work. Never been but will have to try based on your rec.

1 Like

Their tomatoes, while excellent, are old school - no heirlooms (which come to think of it heirlooms are more old school than hybrids). Excellent cherries right now. Haven’t tried the nectarines yet. I think you will like it.

2 Likes

And for those of you with toddlers (or who are just young at heart): Tapia Bros. usually features a fun corn maze around Halloween time yearly… A piece of the country life, right near Encino!

3 Likes

Does anybody know if the Irvine FM at Mariners Church on Saturday is still drive thru only?

Yes it is still only drive through at the Saturday Irvine FM at Mariners church. Here is the line up. About 45 minute wait.

4 Likes

Best corn I’ve ever had. It’s a little early? How is it?

1 Like

It wasn’t stellar like their corn usually is. I would wait a few more weeks.

2 Likes

I love that we can put date reminders on bookmarks now.

The yu choy from Chuey Ve at the Irvine farmers market has been so delicious the last few weeks. This is the uncooked shot before we sauté with garlic and oil then steam with water for a few minutes. Great side vegetable to any meal and the kids love it.

5 Likes

Almost forgot to mention, FYI:

Tenerelli Farms is back at the Hollywood Farmer’s Market! :slight_smile: (@TheCookie @attran99 @hanhgry and others)

(For those that don’t know, they are stone fruit farmers that have excellent Peaches throughout the season each year.) :slight_smile:

This past week they only had their first type of Apricots in. They said their Peaches should arrive next week. I’ll report back when they get them in (and find out if they are attending other Farmers Markets in the area.)

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I love Tennerelli.

1 Like

I love stone fruit, so will have to check them out! Thanks for the headsup.

1 Like

Hey @moonboy403!

Here’s a photo of Tamai Family Farm’s Strawberries.

Little punches of sweet strawberry-ness. They are less $ than Harry’s Berries, but IDR exact price. Cool worker/owner(?)… he could see I was weighed down and offered to store my bags while I ran to another stall. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here they are with some sweet Arapaho Blackberries from Murray Family Farms @Chowseeker1999.

I overbought as usual and decided to follow @J_L’s lead and make Strawberry Blackberry Compote.

Delicious over melty Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream

Bought other CCFM offerings as well… will post soon!

15 Likes

Has anyone tried the Harry’s Berries sorbet? I’m very tempted but it’s expensive so I’d love to know if it’s worth the price!

2 Likes

Update 4:

Hollywood Farmers Market

Overall the Hollywood Farmers Market has been getting variable long lines waiting to get in, but once inside, the crowds have been very minimal with the market doing a good job of restricting the total # of people at any one time. Last week it took us about 10 minutes to enter around 10:00 a.m. (@attran99 and others.)

The Garden Of

It’s really nice to see The Garden Of… Organic Farm (out of Santa Ynez, California) return with open produce (and the farm hands will help bag the produce for you (with gloves)).

One sad thing is not seeing Farmer Shu Takikawa nor his wife present and greeting and helping out at the stand as they usually have. Both of them are elderly so it’s understandable that they don’t want to risk going out to many Farmers Markets right now.

Organic Heirloom Lettuces:

As wonderful as always! :blush: They are offering these beautiful Heirloom Lettuces at a bargain still of 3 Organic Lettuces for $5. They make for the basis of the freshest, brightest Salads you can make at home.

The Garden Of… (Organic Farm)
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

Thao Family Farms

It’s also great to see Thao Family Farms open back up (they were doing Produce Boxes only for many weeks).

Luffa + Bitter Melon + Fuzzy Melon:

Thao Family Farms had a wonderful variety of Asian Melons, Luffa, Bitter Melon and Fuzzy Melon. We picked up some Bitter Melons and they turned out wonderful this week. :blush: Inherently bitter, but elevated, using a recipe from my Taiwanese friend, sauteing them with some Black Bean Sauce and X.O. Sauce mixture and Garlic.

Thao Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Arnett Farms

Walking into Arnett Farms (out of Fresno, California), it is clear it’s stone fruit season.

Black Splendor Plums:

We picked these up 2 weeks ago, trusting the recommendations from the farmers working the stand. Fragrant, sweet, wonderful!

King Kat Peacotums:

This is the first time we tried a Peacotum which apparently is a Peach + Apricot + Plum combination. Letting them sit on the kitchen counter for a day or two to ripen even more, they were fantastic! These clearly taste like the precursor to Arnett Farms’ greatest stone fruit offering every year - the Flavor King Pluot - aromatic, having Peach notes, balanced sweetness that truly tastes like a combination of Peach, Apricot and sweet Plums. :heart:

Black Mission Figs:

It’s the first wave of Black Mission Fig season! And out of all of the Black Mission Figs we’ve tried from various farmers at the Hollywood Farmers Market, Arnett Farms’ Figs are the sweetest and our favorite.

Today’s Black Mission Figs were slightly ugly and “beat up” (according to one of the Arnett Farms’ farmers), but he vouched for the flavor and sweetness, and gave us a discount if we wanted them.

They were right:

Incredibly sweet, wonderful Black Mission Figs! :heart:

Be on the lookout over the next few weeks as this 1st wave of Figs is short.

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Tenerelli Orchards

Tenerelli Orchards returned a few weeks ago, but thanks to @PorkyBelly for the reminder about their first batch of Peaches debuting this season. :slight_smile:

Spring Flame Peaches:

Letting them ripen a couple days longer on the kitchen counter, the Spring Flame Peaches are incredibly juicy with tender flesh, a classic Peach sweetness with a touch of tart to balance it out. Delicious. :blush: (@TheCookie @attran99 @hanhgry @paranoidgarliclover and others.)

Our favorite offerings from Tenerelli Orchards each year are their white-fleshed Peaches, and those should be arriving in a couple of weeks. Those are pure sweetness, while the yellow-fleshed Peaches have a hint of tart with the sweetness for those that appreciate that balance. :slight_smile:

Tenerelli Orchards
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday & Saturday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday & Saturday

14 Likes

I have an unexpected free morning and afternoon. I’m headed to Hollywood FM for produce and stone fruits. Anybody have suggestions on a place relatively close to pick up lunch? Preferably down towards or in the DTLA vicinity. I was hankering for Langers after a few posts but they are closed on Sunday. I think I’m leaning towards PRD right now.

2 Likes

Porridge + puffs
Sqirl
Howlin ray’s
Prd
Iki
All day baby
Holbox
Sonoratown
Guerrilla tacos

5 Likes