What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Add some seaweed to that daikon pork bone broth as well.

Maybe I’ll cook that after I get home…

3 Likes

Nice @Chowseeker1999. All stuff I want!

1 Like

A big thanks to @mshopper2 and @JeetKuneBao. Thanks! :slight_smile:

We tried this recipe and it was delicious! So simple and quick to make (10 minutes or so), and it was wonderful. Can’t wait to try the soup recipe @JeetKuneBao. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This week marked the first week after Mayor Eric Garcetti asked for more careful social distancing rules in place for all of the Farmers Markets around L.A.

For those that have been to the Hollywood Farmers Market (the largest in L.A., where many restaurants and chefs buy from), under normal days, it’s quite busy. Even before the Mayor’s mandate for all Farmers Markets to submit a plan for better traffic control and protecting the people with social distancing, Hollywood was doing a pretty good job (at least when we were there each weekend). Under the new rules, it’s even more safe and spaced out.

First:

• There is only 1 entrance to get into the Hollywood Farmers Market now, off of Morningside Court (just off of Sunset Blvd.).

In addition, it’s a controlled entrance, so only X# of people are allowed in at any one time, and the lines were spaced out with cute hearts painted on the ground:

Once inside, the spacing is very generous and very quiet:

The Garden Of

Here’s an example of the social distancing rules in effect at The Garden Of… Organic Farms. They had chalk lines on the floor every few feet, and were only letting in 2 people into the booth (spaced out) at any time.

As with last week, The Garden Of is now bagging up its produce into $5 bags (a generous amount of produce in each bag we’ve bought so far).

Organic Tuscan Kale + Chidori Kale Mix:

I picked up some of their Organic Tuscan Kale + Chidori Kale Mix this week. Last week’s Chidori Kale was outstanding (again). :heart:

Organic Radicchio:

Some gorgeous Organic Radicchio this week!

I also picked up 2 sets of their Organic Heirloom Lettuces. For the Larger Heirloom Lettuces, they let you pick which ones you want and they will bag it for you.

(Cash Only)

The Garden Of… (Organic Farm)
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

Here’s an example of what some other Farms were doing:

At a few stands like Suncoast Farms (above), they would block off the whole stand, and their staff would ask you what you want. You can ask for or point to whatever produce you wanted (from a distance), and the staff (with mask & gloves) would grab and bag the produce for you. A nice touch.

Autonomy Farms

Autonomy Farms’ Pork Shoulder (organic, humanely raised in Bakersfield) that we picked out last week, turned out fantastic, with great flavor. :slight_smile:

Grass Fed, Bone-In New York Strip:

We also picked up their Grass-Fed, Bone-In New York Strip Steak, and some of their excellent Bone-In Pork Loin Chops.

Autonomy Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Thao Family Farms

Note: Thao Family Farms this week were only selling their produce in Produce Boxes (similar to what’s been advertised at Republique (who’s carrying their Produce Boxes as well)).

Arnett Farms

Arnett Farms also had great social distancing in place, letting in only a maximum of 2 people into their spacious booth at any one time. And they had one of their farmers personally help pick out whatever produce you were interested in, and bag it for you.

Satsuma Mandarins:

We picked up some Satsuma Mandarins this week based on the farmers’ recommendation. :slight_smile:

So far for the last 3 weeks (and generally overall), Arnett’s farmers’ recommendations have been spot on. The Tango Tangerines, Shasta Gold Mandarins have been so floral, sweet, balanced, not overly acidic. :slight_smile:

Their Roasted Pistachios we got from last week were fantastic, and a huge thanks to @Dommy for the tip on the Dried Persimmons! They were so good! :heart:

We picked up some of their Roasted Almonds from Arnett Farms this week as well (they have been very good in the past).

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Underwood Family Farms

Underwood Family Farms also had great social distancing rules in place. They let in 1 person at a time, and would ask you what produce you wanted and they’d bag it for you. They had some beautiful looking Beets, Radishes, Carrots, along with their usual good assortment of Cauliflowers (heirloom varieties as well), and various Kale. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your report back @Chowseeker1999!!! I’m still trying hard to keep unnecessary trips down to zero and had to go to Tokyo Central this week (I was so happy to get Meiji Tofu for the week!!) and so I opted to skip going to Hollywood today even though I really wanted those Persimmons!!! LOL!!! Glad to read about all the efforts they put into place… Next weekend will be Easter… but hopefully the following week I can finally head down there as I really want to make some Oatmeal cookies with those persimmons!!

2 Likes

Something I saw a few weeks ago at the Pico location of Santa Monica Farmer’s Market, called a Mandarinquat. Tried it at Konbi, and came here to find it. Tastes great in a salad, eat it skin on.

PSA:

Hollywood & Santa Monica Farmers Markets are CLOSED this Sunday (Easter).

They said they’re aligning with LA County’s call to stay at home this critical week.

3 Likes

Update 3:

Just in time for Mother’s Day, we stopped by to pick up a few things for the week and for mom. :slight_smile:

Harry’s Berries

Organic Gaviota Strawberries:

Harry’s Berries has been back for little while now, but prime Strawberry season still hasn’t peaked yet. (Last week’s Organic Gaviota Strawberries (their most famous) were not close to their legendary levels of sweetness.)

But speaking with the farm staff they assured us this week’s was much better (with more sunlight), sweeter, etc.

You could smell them well before you arrived at the stand. We were hopeful! :slight_smile:

We got home and enjoyed a few and they are indeed much better this week! :blush: Very fragrant, sweeter than last week, with a touch of tartness still. Now’s a good time to buy them, but give it another week or two and they should be even better. :slight_smile:

(Cash Only)

Harry’s Berries
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

The Garden Of

PSA: The Garden Of will not be attending any Farmers Markets next week. The farm staff said they are going into transition with a new crop of Vegetables coming in for Summer.

Organic Heirloom Lettuces:

Their Organic Heirloom Lettuces are still as pristine and fresh as ever, they are now just pre-packaged for you, and you can ask the staff to pick out larger packs, or standard packs. The Standard Packs are still an incredible value with 4 heads of their outstanding Organic Heirloom Lettuces for $5 (a bargain!). :slight_smile:

Their Organic Arugula was fantastic last week as well (and they still had some this week).

(Cash Only)

The Garden Of… (Organic Farm)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Arnett Farms

Citrus has been dominating the farmers markets over the past month, but today, the farmers at Arnett Farms recommended their White Peaches, saying they were finally getting sweet enough / ripe enough.

White Peaches:

We picked up a few for the week and will report back, but excited that Stone Fruit Season is starting up. :slight_smile:

Last week’s Roasted Almonds from Arnett Farms were incredible! So fragrant, nutty and really fresh. You can really taste the difference. Highly recommended. :heart:

We picked up a half pound of their Roasted Pistachios this week.

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Murray Family Farms

We fell in love with Murray Family Farms last year, thanks to the L.A. Times article on discussing new Grape varietals (Murray’s Grape varietals were mind-blowing! Don’t miss out this year).

It’s now Cherry Season! Woo hoo! :heart:

Murray Family Farms features 4 types of Organic Cherries already this week, with more coming in the weeks ahead!

Organic Sequoia Cherries:

These are a balanced type of Cherry, some sweetness and a bit of tart / acid to balance the flavor. They were tasty. :blush:

Organic Royal Rainier Cherries:

Beautiful looking, we didn’t pick any up this week, but will try next week. The farm staff said that their Royal Rainiers are the mildest Cherries of the bunch.

Organic Brooks Cherries:

The sweetest and meatiest of their Organic Cherries, these are delicious! :heart: They are definitely sweeter than the Sequoias, but still has a light tart backnote, but mainly sweet and more flesh. (@PorkyBelly @J_L @hanhgry @TheCookie @attran99 @paranoidgarliclover @JeetKuneBao @A5KOBE and others!)

Organic Arvin Glen Cherries:

We held off on trying the Arvin Glen Cherries, as the farm staff said they were the most acidic / tart of the bunch, but a favorite with some of their devoted customers.

Murray Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Lastly, we picked up some beautiful flowers just in time for Mother’s Day. :heart:

There were multiple Flower Vendors at the Hollywood Farmers Market today.

8 Likes

Update:

As @PorkyBelly mentioned, this week has some incredible highlights; posting in this farmers market thread in case people miss it!

Harry’s Berries

Organic Gaviota Strawberries:

It’s time! Harry’s Berries’ Organic Gaviota Strawberries are outstanding, bright and tasting like the best of the season so far! :heart:

For those that haven’t had them before, Harry’s Berries’ Organic Strawberries are the best Strawberries we’ve ever had. Some of our top local restaurants / chefs seek them out because of their amazing fragrance and taste.

It’s not hype. Tasting Harry’s Berries’ Organic Gaviotas in their prime of the season is like eating candy (as @J_L @PorkyBelly would say). :blush: Last week’s crop were excellent.

This week’s Gaviotas? WOW. Incredible fragrance - what Strawberries should smell like - gorgeous sweetness! :heart:

For those waiting until it was time (best of the season)? It’s time. :slight_smile: (@Ns1 @PorkyBelly @J_L @hanhgry @TheCookie @attran99 @A5KOBE @bruins @ebethsdad @Dommy and others!)

Harry’s Berries
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday & Saturday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday & Saturday

Murray Family Farms

Murray Family Farms now have 5 different types of Organic Cherries in season now. Last week’s Organic Brooks Cherries were excellent (sweet with a touch of tart).

This week, we got our hands on:

Organic GG1 Cherries:

Murray Family Farms’ Organic GG1 Cherries are so popular, they are usually only available by Pre-Order Only (or some weeks they will have a few spare cases).

We’ve only tried a couple so far (saving them for tonight and later this week), but they are plump and meaty: These are the largest Cherries we’ve tried with Murray Family Farms so far, so there’s more Cherry “meat” and juiciness than the other varietals. It’s a balanced sweet with a bit more tart tang than the Organic Brooks Cherries last week.

But speaking with one of the farmers, they said that the GG1’s just get sweeter and sweeter as the season goes on (this was only week 2). :slight_smile:

Murray Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Arnett Farms

Lastly, for Arnett Farms (no pics), their Snow Lady White Peaches were excellent last week! So sweet and fragrant. We picked up a few more this week; they should be even better according to the Arnett farmer we spoke with.

No sign of our beloved Tenerelli Farms yet. :frowning: I hope they are OK! (@TheCookie and others.)

11 Likes

Question: I don’t recall (I’m sure it must’ve been mentioned in one of the threads above), but are Hollywood and Santa Monica FMs doing a good job w/ distancing and such? The fruits look amazing.

I’ve been to Wednesday SM and thought they have done A good job. In addition to below each vendor has there traffic flow marked and limit the amount of people in each space to just a couple depending on the size

5 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Yes, they’re doing a good job, only letting in a limited # of people at a time. The traffic enters in only 1 way through the farmers market (at Hollywood), and they’re asking folks to keep to the right (as they walk up and down the 2 cross sections). Being in open air also feels better, and even each stand asks customers (if there are more than 1) to social distance and enter through each stand one way / one direction. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anybody been to the Irvine FM at Mariners Church on Saturday recently? The recent reports of great stone fruit and cherries sounds like a trip is in order this weekend.

Desperately seeking novelty when every day is the same … peewee eggs from Lily’s at the Venice farmers market this morning (large egg for scale).

They do indeed taste richer and eggier.

7 Likes

And I don’t know why the photo is upside down.

2 Likes

It’s okay I did a headstand to view it from the proper side

5 Likes

It’s okay. Hopefully, we are all familiar w/ the general shape of an egg. :wink:

2 Likes

Those are great! Fun to bake with since they seem to have a slightly higher ratio of yolk to white

2 Likes

Interesting. Do you need to convert by weight for baking, since most recipes call for large eggs?

Large eggs typically weight 2 oz so i just convert that way

1 Like