What's cookin'?

Looking at the photos from last year, I ignored the part about macerating the apricots in sugar and lemon juice. I liked that better, though the one I made yesterday was still pretty good.

I think using almond paste instead of ground almonds in the batter would also be better.

1 Like

Last batch seemed off so I used Tom Colicchio’s proportions: 1 cup oil, 3 oz. Reggiano. I think I forgot how much oil it’s supposed to have.

I’m experimenting with making a frangipani-clafoutis hybrid—frangifouti? First attempt, proportions from a Julia Child clafoutis recipe.

2 tbsp. butter to grease dish
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
1 cup almond flour

Some of the apricots had gone moldly so I filled in with some cherries.

Baked at 350° for an hour. Good but not as much almond flavor as I’d like, one of these days I’ll try using some Odense paste. Also, this dish was too big for that amount of batter.

Best batch of pesto I’ve made in a long time.

1 Like

Salt cod and molasses boiling at the same time.

For future reference: make one batch of aioli per three guests.

2 Likes

So as I was making that recipe again today I learned there’s such a thing as cling plums.

Luckily this isn’t one of those that requires nice clean halves.

1 Like

Cream Co. 45-day aged ribeye

2 Likes

Trying to keep up with the onslaught of stone fruit. The plum torte is going into the freezer.

2 Likes

This is some of the nicest garlic I’ve ever bought. No idea which variety. It’s not hard-stem.

New crop so no bitter green sprouts.

4 Likes

Roberto is killing me!

1 Like

I finally got a baking steel and gave my S starter a go! Can’t believe try 1 didn’t fail

13 Likes

Gorgeous

2 Likes

I wonder which panzanella recipe I used to use? I thought it was Marcella Hazan’s, but she fries the bread and doesn’t use much tomato. This is closer to what I’ve made in the past.

Gazpacho, loosely adapted from Colman Andrews’s recipe from Catalan Cuisine.

1-1/2 lbs. dead ripe heirloom tomatoes
Armenian cucumbers
torpedo onion
Roland roasted red peppers
1 large jalapeño, seeded
garlic
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt

Process until smooth, put through the food mill with the medium sieve, chill. Not photogenic but delicious. Why don’t I make this more often? Maybe because it’s usually below 65 degrees at dinner time.

Sonoma County Meat Company merguez with canellini, torpedo onion, and jalapeños

I made that recipe but maybe my bread was way dryer or I got the proportions wrong. Anyway I had to had a whole lot more tomatoes before it was wet enough. Which was fine since I was trying to catch up with the backlog. Turned out great. Four of us almost polished off the bowl.

A guest brought homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert.

1 Like

Welcome! Look forward to seeing your food

Breakfast for dinner last night: cooked goetta in lard 10 minutes a side, then scrambled eggs in the pan to pick up the scraps.

2 Likes

Second baking steel effort included porchini and chanterelles over gruyere and some brandywine over a cheese pie

6 Likes

Here’s the only one I’ve used (so have nothing to compare it to) and love it.

3 Likes