What's cookin'?

Soba Ichi x Umamei

Now if I could just remember what we were talking about making that needs more lard than we had on hand.

Oh, flour tortillas.

“First press,” an hour in the Instant Pot.

“Second press,” simmering for hours like carnitas.

First attempt at tortilla came out well. Poached the potatoes and onions in olive oil, similar to the Serious Eats recipe, so there’s over a cup left over. I wish I’d weighed everything, the textures were right but the ratio was off, should have had more egg and onion. Traditionally I shouldn’t have browned it, but I’m a Californian and do what I want.

3 Likes

St. Patrick’s dinner: ham, collards, mashed potatoes

merguez with red onion, garlic, and fennel

chickpeas with onion, tomato, French ras el hanout, and lemon

ribeye

Damn, kind of a challenge to upload video here.

3 Likes

Spanish Table arroz negre base, Bomba rice, salt cod; Trader Joe’s roasted peppers; Le Sueur petits pois

#fuckfreshfood

410748133014LG

first of the season

2 Likes

Great color

beans, collards, andouille, etc., Carla Hall cornbread

frittata with snow peas and roasted peppers

This was a dinner we started making during lockdown and it’s here to stay. Everybody gets to pick a few things they like. Lot of veggies.

8 Likes

Had some restaurant leftovers, brined pork chop and steak with some sides, so made a hash with spring red onion, kale, chickpeas, and roasted red peppers. Served with rice.

1 Like

Something in between hash and a gratin: sauteed a large fresh torpedo onion (seriously eye-stinging) in olive oil, added a can of cannellini, added broccoli and simmered, mixed with leftover rice, pork pulled from leftover China Village pork shoulder with the not-great sauce rinsed off, leftover grilled summer squash, and steamed beet greens, pressed into gratin dish, topped with the fat from the pork shoulder, and baked at 350 fan for half an hour. Fat crisped up nicely.

I made this except with red cabbage, added a small fresh torpedo onion, and tossed the vegetables with salt and let them sit for an hour or two before adding the rest of the dressing. Quite good though slightly saltier than necessary, two teaspoons is probably the right amount. Next time I might add some fresh chiles and/or cilantro.

Frittata came out perfect for once. Sautéed a fresh torpedo onion in olive oil with 3/4 tsp. salt, steamed 3/4 lb. spinach with it, let cool, chopped. Beat six eggs with 6 oz. ricotta, 3 oz. Pecorino Romano, nutmeg, and the spinach. Cooked covered, medium-low, for 20 minutes, then finished under the broiler.

1 Like