What's cookin'?

baba ganoush prep

First time around (pictured), trying to get out from behind on the produce, this minestrone had bacon, onions, garlic, tomato, carrot, celery, sweet potato, cannellini, green beans, and several kinds of summer squash. Next time I added Kiolbasa sausage, turnips, turnip greens, kale, and more rice than I meant to. Probably left a thing or two out of this list.

2 Likes

Another kimchi attempt.

1.5 lbs. pounds Riverdog daikon
2.5 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. fish sauce
1/4 cup gochugaru
2 stalks of green onions, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp. grated ginger

2 Likes

• half a Cream Co. 1-1/4 pork rib roast aka double-cut pork chop
  • Riverdog summer squash with onion, tomato, and Piment d’Ville
  • Riverdog potatoes with butter and toum
  • Riverdog turnip greens and braising mix

2022 Rangpur lime crop and one late strawberry the squirrels missed. Just enough juice for one margarita. That stuff is tart! When we have more I think gin and tonic might be a better fit.

4 Likes

one Kiolbasa sausage chopped fine, Riverdog leeks, Tokyo turnips, and turnip greens, not enough carrots, cannellini, Pomi, leftover brown rice from Chinese delivery, olive oil, chicken stock

Riverdog kale frittata with red onion and saag spices, mashed Diane sweet potato

rigatoni with Riverdog beet greens and Bellwether Farms ricotta

Kiolbasa sausages with Riverdog potatoes and braising mix green

Riverdog Delicata squash, onion, chicken broth, backyard thyme. Surprisingly complex flavor. I think that’s the best winter squash.

gratin of Riverdog purple potatoes, all the odd ends of cheese in the fridge, cream, buttermilk, and nutmeg

2 Likes

We randomly ended up with a pound of 15% fat ground beef, which as far as I’m concerned is no good for burgers. So for the first time in years I made ragù following Marcella Hazan’s recipe, except we were out of carrots so I used a lot of celery and as usual substituted Pomi strained tomatoes for canned. Funny that between the versions in her first book and fourth she swapped the order of milk and wine. I’m not sure it makes any difference. Good and hit the spot, though I think the carrot adds something. There’s enough left over that I’ll make a pasticcio with ricotta and greens.

2 Likes

What’s the best ratio?

I like lean beef in things like Keema Curry. Also, I agree on Carrots in Beef sauce. It adds a touch of sweetness and earthiness. A good counter to the beef and livers I usually add.

1 Like

General consensus among beef geeks and chefs seems to be 30% fat. Works for me.

1 Like

Okay, more fat, not less. I wasn’t sure which way you were going lol. Sounds good to me.

30% seems excessive to me unless you are doing a smash burger. But I wouldn’t go under 20 either

1 Like

30% is what every good butcher I’ve bought from in the past 25+ years recommended.

Smash burgers make no sense to me.

For me that’s just to fatty for a med rare burger (how i like it)

By me, if it’s not medium-rare, it’s undercooked or overcooked.

Might depend on how you cook it. On a charcoal grill a burger maybe loses more fat rhan it does on a griddle or in a pan.

pasticcio with penne rigate, leftover ragù, Bellwether sheep ricotta, Pecorino Romano, turnip greens, kale, and beschamel

pork chop, cabbage with dried porcini, red lentils with carrots and andouille (per New Year’s tradition was supposed to be French green lentils but we were out)

Persian cucumbers with Craig Claiborne’s blue cheese dressing

I’ve been making this every week or two since Riverdog has been giving us so much rocket and so many potatoes, and we always have some stale Acme levain around.

http://lauriston.com/recipes.html#bread_soup