What's cookin'?

Riverdog rapini, Pomi, Mulay’s Italian sausage, chickpeas

2 Likes

pasticcio of leftover pasta, leftover meatloaf, cabbage, and bechamel

2 Likes

Riverdog iceberg lettuce, Craig Claiborne’s blue-cheese dressing, bacon

“Thick-cut” bacon my ass. After frying it crisp it wasn’t an eighth of an inch thick.

My default breakfast these days is steel-cut oats with ginger spread and peanut butter. I can’t find the ginger spread locally any more so I get it by the case from Amazon.

tjpb

And Amazon likely takes 50% of the purchase price from the vendor. I’ve been told that eBay may be a better choice.

It’s way more expensive on eBay. Amazon can’t be taking 50% in this case since by the case their products delivered are not much more expensive than they are in a grocery store.

I’d buy it in a grocery store but I cna’t find anyplace around here carries it any more.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon-is-taking-half-of-each-sale-from-its-merchants/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TSA_021423002154+Amazon+takes+half+of+each+sale+from+its+merchants_2_13_2023&utm_term=Active%20subscriber

Ginger People doesn’t use Amazon for logistics and fulfillment.

I thought you said you’re getting it from Amazon.

It’s weird. I’m not seeing the peanut butter itself listed anyway. Not that I eat it :slight_smile:

The peanut butter is from Trader Joe’s. You can find it online at an absurd markup.

Jambalaya for Fat Tuesday. Would have had shrimp but it was so windy I didn’t want to leave the house, so it was just andouille.

2 Likes

Jimmy Red Grits, lobio, feta

1 Like

monochromatic but tasty: leftover Japanese-ish soup of pork trotters and shoulder, daikon, mushrooms, and ginger remixed in an Eastern European direction with potatoes, carrots, leeks, cabbage, bean broth, and Gilka

4 Likes

no soy in the initial trotters/daikon?

Good soy sauce, plus Red Boat since I didn’t bother to make dashi.

hummus & tirokafteri

Should have used more garlic, it’s weak this time of year. And the blade for my DLC-7 broke, so the hummus isn’t quite right. Luckily they’re still selling replacements.

2 Likes

Reggiano broth, onion, cabbage, jasmine rice, fresh thyme, black pepper

I was inspired by this recipe but didn’t follow it. We had a lot of cheese rinds so it didn’t need more cheese and I didn’t want to step on the delicate flavor of the broth with lemon or herbs.

I had a huge amount of Jimmy Red grits left over so I made a lasagna-ish casserole inspired by Carol Field’s recipe for l’Jumacche Fellate di Sant’Antuon from Celebrating Italy, which I made once 25+ years ago: half the grits, then Mulay Italian sausage, then tomato sauce with onion, fennel, and celery mixed with mascarpone and quark, then the rest of the grits, then grated full-fat low-moisture mozzarella, and finally two cups of bechamel with nutmeg. Completely filled a 15" x 10" Pyrex baking dish.

What’s in the photo is reheated leftovers. The first time around I thought it needed more sauce, so I made some more with onion, oregano, and Piment d’Ville. In the background is Black Spanish radish salad dressed with Korean sesame oil, Melfior, and salt, tossed with toasted Japanese sesame seeds.