What's cookin'?

Didn’t we all? Those penguins had legs! The wedding gift of the decade.

Yeah, the 1940s. I inherited my mom’s but it had rusted out, so I bought one on eBay.

1 Like

pasta e ceci with a Kiolbasa sausage and fresh rosemary

1 Like

Typical kind of thing I make when I’m almost too tired to do anything but order a pizza: Kiolbasa sausage, onion, celery, carrot, canned roasted peppers, canned kidney beans, leftover rice, leftover pea leaf with garlic, box chicken broth.

2 Likes

Looks great. I can always turn to a saucy beans and rice. Jarred Red Bell Peppers are the most under rated ingredient ever.

1 Like

I always have roasted red bell peppers from Trader Joe’s on hand, but these were Ortega diced chiles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S80POSW

1 Like

rtigatoni, meatballs in tomato sauce with fennel seed and oregano, Pecorino Romano

“Tell me about your meatballs,” said one of my guests.

“You can buy them at Ikea.”

2 Likes

When the answers to “what’s in the refrigerator” and “what’s for dinner” are the same. I had leftover rigatoni, most of a quart of kashke bademjan from the Persian deli that seemed like they forgot something so it tasted really bland, and some Angelo & Franco burrata from Costco that was also really bland. I made some quick tomato sauce with onion and Piment d’ Espellete, chopped the meatballs in eighths, and mixed it all up. I was going to top the pasticcio with bechamel, but there wasn’t room left in the dish, so I just sprinkled it with Reggiano.

2 Likes

You seem to really like soft foods. ?

Juat the luck of the draw. I’d have made a salad if anyone was still hungry.

First day of the year where it was dry and warm enough for eating on the deck. 9 lb. Riverdog pork rib roast marinated with spring garlic greens, rosemary, salt, Meyer lemon, and olive oil, roasted in the oven at 325° to 113°, finished on the grill to 135°, went over 145° while resting. Delicious but next time I’ll cook a bit less.

2 Likes

Improvised hot bean dip: La Costeña refried pinto beans, end of a jar of some supermarket brand salsa, a can of minced roasted peppers, Monterey jack, baked at 350 for 30 minutes. With tortilla chips it was pretty much like nachos except the chips didn’t get soggy.

I had to go to a Mexican store to find real refried beans with lard. (Obviously I could make them myself but that takes planning ahead.)

1 Like

trotter and chicken broth, onion, carrot, daikon, originario rice, white cabbage, leftover roast beef

1 Like

Sonoma County Meat Co. merguez, cannellini with olive oil, onion, thyme, and nutmeg

tzatziki with Persian cucumbers, Alexandre 6% plain yogurt, really nice new-crop red garlic from some farmers market vendor, olive oil, red wine vinegar

served with Acme long Italian

Joe’s Stone Crab key lime pie recipe. Made with a Biscoff crust instead of graham cracker. Added a little extra zest and lime juice. Very easy to make and delicious. You’ll need to buy 2 bags of key limes to get 2/3 cup.

4 Likes

So confused as to whether post here or in “Home Cooking 2023.” :wink:

Partner made my fav dinner, pasta w/ meat sauce. He used a Bon Appetit recipe this year that didn’t call for tomato sauce. That kind of freaked him out, so he still ended up adding some tomato. Not needed at all, although it still tasted lovely.

Time for basque cheesecake. Partner thinks it was over-cooked. I didn’t mind at all. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Basque cheesecake looks great!

I prefer mine super runny!

2 Likes

Saw a video of him on a TV show in Spain doing his Cheesecake keep meaning to try it! Looks fairly straight forward

Maybe people do. Partner likes a softer interior (but not runny), so he thinks he’ll dial back bake time by ~10 mins next time. First time we’ve baked this in the new-ish range. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t watching partner super closely (work has been so busy lately… :frowning: ), but I agree that, from the little I saw, it’s not very complicated. :slight_smile: Hope you try one soon.

1 Like

I prefer mine runny as well but taking the basque cheesecake out at the right consistency goes against my other cake/brownie baking knowledge. Such a great dessert.

2 Likes