What's cookin'?

Ah, I see. I bet the liquid is packed with nutrients. Your mom was ahead of the cold-pressed-juice trend! Well, you’ve definitely got me intrigued. I’ll try it the next time I make kinpira gobo. Thanks!

1 Like

Mmm, unfortunately I don’t get out to Cosra Mesa much. But thanks for the tip.

[quote=“MaladyNelson, post:71, topic:3429”]
pickled/dyed gobo (burdock
[/quote]Okay. So I’m not losing my mind.

1 Like

Smoked some birthday ribs for my lovely bride’s birthday.

Just on…

3 hours in. Ready to wrap…

Ready to come off after one hour wrapped and one hour unwrapped with sauce…

4 Likes

My stone is ancient. It lives 24/7 in my oven. It even goes through the self cleaning cycle. It has never been washed. One reason I keep it in my oven is because with an electric oven the heat cycles on and off. The stone keeps the heat even. I have a steel from King Arthur, I bought it on the recommendation of a friend. It is not $100+ better than my stone.

That’s a good idea about maintaining even temp. I hadn’t thought of that. Yeah, that’s too expensive but as I mentioned I may see if I can have one fabricated for a fraction of that. We’ve also done one on the grill which can get hotter than 550.

Brontosaurus sized 2.88 lb. bone in prime rib eye from Costco . I will grill it over oak wood and splash with salt . Green beans braised in tomato along with potato salad on the side . Bottle of red to drink. I will be eating that steak for days .:fork_and_knife:

2 Likes

Fried chicharrones that we made tacos from.

[quote=“catholiver, post:11, topic:3601”]
Shit, after being on this planet for 69 years, I just found out I’m a “guy.”
[/quote] Fried Chicharrones. You’re right cat. Maybe you are a guy.

I met Bob almost 30 years ago and one of the nicest things he said to me was that I wasn’t a “Brandy Alexander kinda gal.” For you younger people maybe substitute “Cosmo.” There’s little I wouldn’t try food-wise. Had some rat in Thailand. Wanted to meet Sam in the Philippines, get drunk and eat balut. I’m not prissy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hyderabadi Dum Chicken Biryani for Sunday dinner

8 Likes

Dang. That looks incredible.

1 Like

It really does @President_Mochi.

@Sgee My aunt taught me to seal rice pots w/foil under the lid to pressurize. Is that why you have the material around your pot? And what is the material?

1 Like

@TheCookie it’s dough I kneaded to seal the pot. Subsequently weighed down the cover with one of my smaller le creuset pots. How effective do you find foil for sealing the cover? The dough is quite air tight, only problem cleanup is a PITA…

Wow… Look at you.

I do find foil effective. You put a sheet over the pot (about 2-3 inches wider than pot), then put lid securely on top of foil, pushing until lid is securely in place, then mold foil tightly around sides of pot. Basically you don’t want any air escaping.

I hesitate to give you advice though. The dough maneuver seems really good.

1 Like

No pictures, but this weekend I made the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made. I used butter, cracked four eggs then worked them constantly while taking the pan on and off the burner. When they were almost formed, I seasoned with salt and pepper. Then I added a lil dollop of creme fraiche. Continued working 'em until they were not too wet but still definitely wet. Topped with some finely shredded aged cheddar. They were just perfect, to me. So fluffy and light. What a joy.

5 Likes

Perfect

Now that you’ve perfected it, don’t forget to top with some white 'shrooms come fall/winter :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Haha, just looks fancy good for pics. Cleanup is a PITA.

Quick dinner of littlenecks with butter, scallions, sherry, white wine and chopped tomatoes. Done in 20 minutes! I finally win a Chopped appetizer round, lol.

4 Likes