What's cookin'?

Last night with more corn and wedge salad.

2 Likes

Where did you find fennel pollen?

They have the fresh stuff at Hollywood Farmers Market but you have to use it within a week or dry it out. I got this dried one at the spice place inside OC Mix.

You’re loving them wedge salads!

Here’s a Greek salad we made last night. Turned out better than other Greek salads we’ve made. Followed this recipe: Lemony Herb-Loaded Chopped Greek Salad Recipe - Pinch of Yum

Also had some cheesez that we got from the small bin at Whole Foods that has little chunks for a couple bucks each. Good way to try some different cheese.

3 Likes

Saved! Except for the cucumber which we both dislike. Marriages are made on less :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:64, topic:3429”]
Whole Foods that has little chunks for a couple bucks each. Good way to try some different cheese.
[/quote]Hmmm… I’ll have to look for that.

Yeah, it was the first time I saw it too. It was basically in the middle of the cheese counter (at the Playa Vista location).

I love those baskets of little chunks.

What? You know about the little chunks too? What the heck have I been missing?

Pay attention :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to Seiwa Market in Torrance on Sunday and came across pickled/dyed gobo (burdock). You’re right; they do look carrot-ish.

What do you do with them?

They’re traditionally eaten as a side dish or with rice. They’re super crunchy.

Cooked I asume?

1 Like

Oh yes, they’re tough, old things. They have to be parboiled.

I usually stir-fry them with carrots; it’s a dish called kinpira gobo. Kinpira Gobo Recipe (Japanese Stir-Fry Burdock Root Recipe) - YouTube

1 Like

They’re also good in soups and stews.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that they need to be peeled too. They sort of look like long, dry, hairy legs in their natural state.

Here’s an image I found on Google.

1 Like

By the way, my mom minces the burdock root peel, then puts them on a cheesecloth with a brick on top, to let the liquid naturally drain out.

She swears that this is like nectar that’s been kissed by the gods.

1 Like

She cooks the peel? I’ll have to try her method. Sounds like a good source of fiber. Thanks for the tip, @ipsedixit!

Oh, no. Sorry, if not clear.

She does not cook the peel. She only drains the liquid out of them and then drinks it like a shot of vodka.

3 Likes