What's cookin'?

just fry it up in some oil until you got a nice even browning… not like my zebra style…

then you cover with boiled water ad salt, cover and steep for 10 minutes… mix with butter at the end.

1 Like

Nemroz - So you just let it sit in water that has just boiled (and which you’ve poured over it) then drain, or do you cook at a low simmer until it’s done and most of the water is gone, and then mix in the butter? Being so specific as I want to make it! :laughing::yum:
Thanks for your patient help : )

you fry the noodle in oil… everything is hot.

you add the boiling water just to cover noodle… maybe a bit lower… you stir in salt… so it’s continuing to boil… you cover and set it on low and it absorbs all the water, in fact if you smell smoke you’ll add more water … butter just the finishing touch when noodle is soft.

1 Like

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know - thank you!

Now to play…

1 Like

pastitsio

1 Like

Bought a brisket flat from Bristol Farms when they were having a big sale. It turned out ok. The smoke was nice, good seasoning but not enough fat on the flat. I didn’t want to cook a whole brisket bc we were having a small get together.

I don’t think I would just smoke a flat by itself again

4 Likes

This was quite good.

2 Likes

This looks GREAT! Thanks.

I wanted to put this under daily sandwich but I realized that’s regional and this is a New Jersey sandwich (made at home): Pork roll/Taylor ham breakfast sandwich (depending on where you’re from). I had to use a cheese kaiser roll because that’s all that was available and I basted the egg instead of frying it but other than that I tried to stick to the traditional elements.

Anybody from that neck of the woods have any suggestions?

6 Likes

These are very good. Texture’s best when fully cooled, if you want cookies to eat fresh out of the oven maybe use a different recipe.

Since I like them salty-sweet, so I used salted butter, Trader Joe’s salted crunchy organic peanut butter, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Next time I’ll use three eggs, the dough was too crumbly to handle after it had been refrigerated.

1 Like

alu-phulkopir torkari

panch-mishali torkari

1 Like

Do you think a PB with partially hydrogenated oil, or maybe palm oil would work out differently? The recipe says its adapted from Dorie Greenspan, and here she recommends a peanut butter that doesn’t separate, e.g. Skippy. Maybe this is the reason.

I would never use a recipe that called for peanut butter with additives. Use pure peanut butter and add shortening if you want that texture.

Update re: Taylor ham sandwiches. Made two more sandwiches, got better at melting the cheese and used eggs stored with truffles.

I have to say, I’m not really one to fancy up a well established cheap eat but the truffled egg was actually an interesting component. Since at least some truffle flavor is fat soluble the yolks most tasted like truffle. I like a syrupy soft yolk as much as the next person but I’ve always felt it’s more texture than taste; however, when the yolk strongly tastes of truffle it has both texture and taste and it reveals itself as you cut or bite into the sandwich.

It particularly seems a worthwhile use of truffles given something like a quarter ounce was sufficient to flavor about seven eggs or so but it makes me think more about other fat-soluble, fragrant ingredients and how they could be used with soft cooked eggs.

3 Likes

Had a couple of pounds of steamed Penn Cove mussels straight out of Penn Cove. After gorging on them I took the broth home and made a soup. Added some chicken broth, sauteed some halved grape tomatoes in butter and added to the broths. At the end added some cod, corn cut off the cobb and some lemon juice. So good.

3 Likes

What kind of truffles?

Italian Black Burgundy Truffles from Epicurus. I split an order with @doughboy a couple weeks ago and used up most of it at that time. They weren’t very potent so the last nub I stored with eggs in a sealed tupperware and used up the last of them this week.

1 Like

That’s cool!

It was gratifying to see how well the eggs took on the truffle! I didn’t really think it would work given how mild the truffles were to begin with (and it didn’t at first) so it was impressive how much even a quarter ounce could do over a longer period of time.

Those are quite delicate. Must have been exceptionally good if you could taste it in the eggs.

1 Like