What's cookin'?

Oddly enough, the eggs took on more flavor than just shaving truffle straight over what we were eating. I decided to leave the last little piece in with eggs just to see what would happen since I knew the equivalent amount by itself wasn’t very detectable and somehow it came out stronger in the yolks.

Apparently Epicurus told @doughboy that they be a little higher in quality and price further along in the season. Either way, I’m glad of the resource to to goof around with such an expensive ingredient relatively cheaply.

1 Like

I had to bless my brand new staub plancha with some proper sausage (Huntington) and peppers

8 Likes

Burgundy truffles (Tuber uncinatum) are not as expensive as Perigord black (Tuber melanosporum) or Alba white (Tuber magnatum Pico).

Did you cook in the oven, stove top, grille? Details please :slight_smile:

True, Epicurus offers Perigord ($55/oz in August 2019) and Alba ($90-$110/oz in Jan 2019) but I’m glad to get my feet wet with something cheaper but still not exactly cheap before graduating up. At $24/oz Black Burgundy truffles still aren’t really chump change to me.

Plancha. That’s a stove top, cast iron griddle you’re looking at.

Could you use it anywhere? We used to have a LC grill pan and eventually gave it away for lack of use.

It’s designed to go stove-top over 2 burners or long burners

1 Like

I just checked it out and it’s induction compatible which is what we have. And also fine on the grille or oven. Looks good.

Keep in mind that since it’s cast iron it’s still as likely to develop hot spots as on any conventional burner. You can test for them by sprinkling with flour and observing what browns vs what doesn’t as you heat it up

3 Likes

Or just move food around. I operated a legit plancha for 4 years. Our steak and cheese was legendary

2 Likes

Confession - these are my fav peanut butter cookies - and I make then with <gasp!> skippy super chunk.

That said? They are like yours in that they are best cooked, then cooled, 3-4 hours old.

Accidentally gluten free.

When you speak I save :slight_smile: Thanks, kiddo.

You cooked cheese on it? Wow. How did you do that?

Peanut butter + sugar + egg + baking soda seems like candy rather than cookies.

a steak and cheese, or a cheese steak is unfamiliar to you? the cheese goes on the meat… but sure, you can cook cheese on a griddle

You’d think that indeed, but what you end up with (and I guess it’s because of the egg) is a light, crispy, airy cookie. Delightful.

Two minutes before they are done, I do take the tray out and whack it on the stovetop to keep them flat and thin, and then put them back in for the last two minutes.

Sort of a peanut macaroon, I guess.

https://odense.com/odense-recipes/macaroons-recipe/

Yes! (And boy do those macaroons look good!)

That Odense recipe is very good.

1 Like