What's cookin'?

Cream of celery soup.

I needed one stalk of celery and had to buy a whole head. So did a quick search and got this soup. Awfully good.

The under appreciated wedge salad. What’s not to like. Bacon, blue cheese, onions, egg, avocado, tomatoes with a nice balsamic vinaigrette.

3 Likes

Not that a vinaigrette might not be more appealing a few days after Thanksgiving, but I think by definition a wedge salad has creamy blue cheese dressing.

That reminds me, I need to make reservations for a steak dinner.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the dressing definition but we couldn’t do the creamy blue cheese today.

well this shit was mind blowing.

The Missouri Botanical Garden takes an entirely different tack, saying that “pumpkin” as a category “really has no botanical meaning, as they are actually all squash.” Where, then, do we draw the line? The first jack-o’-lanterns were carved out of potatoes; does that mean we have to start calling potatoes pumpkins too?

Cindy Ott, who wrote Pumpkin: The Curious History of an American Icon , told me that, up until the 19th century, the words “pumpkin” and “squash” were used interchangeably. “It’s the same damn vegetable!” she said. The difference is all about symbolism. (Or, in some cases, about color: Pumpkin-growing competitions across the country will only consider specimens that are at least 80 percent orange.

As for the stuff that comes out of a can, a spokesperson from Libby’s confirmed to The Atlantic that “Libby’s canned pumpkin contains 100 percent Dickinson pumpkins”—you know, the kind that isn’t even the same species as the big round orange ones. You can even watch a video of Libby’s harvesting their pale, oblong fruit. (Yes, pumpkins are fruit; don’t get me started.)

2 Likes

Here’s my wedge salad.

And even a recipe :slight_smile:

After a weekend of eating Thanksgiving leftovers, I thought it would be fun to hit up Claro’s for pizza night supplies. We got enough dough to make 7 personal pizzas. It was a nice family evening that concluded with us decorating our tree.

7 Likes

Love it. How long to cook seven pizzas???

I had a ham steak in the freezer, and a few odds and ends in the fridge. Lazy asparagus, ham, cheese, croissant,
strata and spinach salad.

1 Like

Went fishing in Mexico and came back with a boat load of yellowtail. Here are a couple of dishes made with it.

12 Likes

Banana bread with walnuts and chocolate. Haven’t made this recipe in a long time. My oven hasn’t been getting to the right temperature the last few weeks. Oh well hope it tastes good.

3 Likes

This literally did not turn out so well.

Also weirdly sour, as noted in the Guardian article below.

I think next time I’ll try one of these:

1 Like

as easy as it sounds, cornbread takes some serious practice to get right… i abandoned after 3 efforts lol…

My Korean rice cake game is improving having been to HMart. Really nice pork belly and local fresh made rice cake

Need some black soy sauce. Color not right

7 Likes

Very nice man

HMart has these lovely cross cut drumsticks so I had to stew them up with turmeric, prunes, peanut butter and Korean sweet potato. Dinger

4 Likes

Looks fabulous. Especially with the prunes .

1 Like

onion, broccoli rab, and nappa kraut in something between okonomiyaki, jeon, kuku, and frittata

3 Likes

Whole Foods on sale. Traeger 5 hours. Salt.

5 Likes

My mom made this. Delicious spicy Korean seafood stew with shrimp, mussels, squid, abalone mixed up with perilla leaves, mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, carrots, rice cakes and bean sprouts.

7 Likes