What's cookin'?

That squash turned out more like a spoonbread or savory pudding than a gratin. Definitely a keeper.

http://lauriston.com/recipes.html#squash_spoonbread

Wow, that looks yummy!

I took a quick peek at the recipe, wonder if I could also make it with pumpkin? I mean, since you are pureeing the cooked squash, couldn’t I simply start with a puree (aka canned pumpkin…)?

Sure. I think most canned pumpkin is butternut squash anyway.

The stuff from China? I agree. The color is so much lighter and it’s not as sweet. But the grown in America, Libby’s stuff? Feels like pumpkin to me!

Give me a bit to try your recipe with pumpkin and report back. Feels like it could be such an easy, joyous T-day side dish!

1 Like

My gruyere potato sauteed onion mozzarella Sicilian last night. NO RECIPE

10 Likes

Bello .

I think I need to bake it hotter and on the stone. It’s drying out too much

I’ve used this technique and like it a lot.

The short ribs with that nice layer of fat. So delicious.

4 Likes

Yes that’s the basics of my pizza doughs but I’ve trying to perfect Sicilian (pan pizza). Round pizza I can make easily

I was really referring to the cooking technique. Pre-heating at super high for a long time, etc.

This better be worth the price!

Tomato sauce…gonna add a clove of garlic and some basil.

As long as I don’t over cook the angel hair I think it should be tasty.

6 Likes

How was it?

NY strip. Buy one get one free this week at Bristol Farms with a coupon. 10th anniversary dinner with a nice bottle my friend gifted us.

9 Likes

I always wondered what a regular (not sweet or pie pumpkin) would taste cooked. Well when Superking had all their halloween pumpkins marked down to 10¢ a pound - for $1.80, I got to find out!

As the first pic will show, way bigger and denser than I thought it would be!

Then washed, chopped and cleaned to be pressure cooked.

Took me multiple cycles to get it all cooked (yay extra “rings” and an extra non-stick liner, so I could wash and swap stuff out pretty quickly.)

Bottom line? It tasted like butternut squash. Great fun, I am glad I did it - it bakes and cooks well. Have tons packed in ziplocks in the freezer for future play. But for pies? I am now comfy that Libby’s is actually truly easily the awesome choice : )

3 Likes

Napa Cabbage and Cucumber Slaw Recipe | Bon Appétit but no cucumbers and after salting with 2% by weight I just let it sit for a few hours before draining.

We get huge amounts of nappa in our CSA box this time of year. One of these days I’ll try making kimchi.

2 Likes

Looks promising. Meat from Prime Meat Market On Beach Blvd.

1 Like

onion-bacon-anchovy-hot pepper sofrito for the sweet potatoes

1 Like

Bacon Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin.

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baconbrown-sugar-pork-tenderloin-recipes-from-the-kitchn-215660?utm_campaign=daily_reply_email&utm_source=community&utm_medium=email#cid-2143894

I didn’t have any chutney so used some Ikea orange elderflower marmalade. After cooking, the CI skillet had so much good ‘stuff’ left that I deglazed with some white wine and then, what the heck?, dumped the mustard/marmalade into it. Really good.

2 Likes