What's easier than grilling things over charcoal?

So a friend brought back masalas from India and it lead me to say fug Covid and finally pull out my bbq for an attempt of some tandoori over royal oak charcoal. Really pleased with the results.

Orig Farmers market chicken seasoned overnight

The friend got a care package delivered

Kid’s gringo version looked incredible. Fully rendered, crispy but not chewy skin was reported

And the lady added some fried up mushrooms and onion to the cauli purée and it made it 10 times better. Perfect chew contrasts

8 Likes

Stop it!!! I hate “dark meat”!!! LOL But I really do.

Not my kid, so I won’t make you eat it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We got into our Armenian shenanigans again yesterday.

Lamb loola kebab from my secret source won the food battle again

17 Likes

Doing too much is my favourite thing

5 Likes

Saw friends for that first time in months and wanted hand held snacks so I thought Satay. I learned that it’s really hard to add enough brown sugar and I should have a glaze ready next time

Beef-round, pork-butt, Spicy skrimps and mackerel

13 Likes

So amazing!

1 Like

Do you debone your own mackerel? I think I’d like to use mackerel more but the bones are a little intense and the techniques I’ve used to try and get them out aren’t great. I mean, definitely my lack of skill is an issue but I’ve boned out other fish acceptably and mackerel always bums me out

It’s cut in half at the store with spine on one side. When grilled the whole bone spine separates and comes off effortlessly. Didn’t have bone issues

Gotcha, thanks!

What kind of charcoal are you using?

I did yakitori over memorial day and I wasn’t crazy about the Vietnamese charocal they sold at Marukai. Still got decent results but overall not the easiest time managing these coals.

Google Photos
Google Photos

Link to the rest of the album if anybody wants to see:

10 Likes

Hi… usually it’s mesquite for us but now i’m on a big bag of Royal Oak which i prefer

2 Likes

That’s good stuff!

Delete

3 Likes

If it is actual binchotan, it costs a buttload.

Most of the reasonably priced “binchotan” that is available for purchase here is composite charcoal sourced from Southeast Asia and sold by Japanese manufacturers (Miyako brand, etc.). It is close enough to binchotan and is affordable enough for home use.

1 Like

Delete

2 Likes

I can just see the price increase now…

Pearl River Deli’s new deluxe premium binchotan char siu ribs: $95 per order :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Im sorry I mentioned it. Ill delete the post.

That was a good post! Broida-san offers good products, and I’m glad he sells legit binchotan. No need to delete that. I apologize if my sad attempt at humor led to this.

2 Likes

where did you cop those lovely flat skewers? i was having a hell of a time with round ones last week… was actually planning to use regular chopsticks lol