What's easier than grilling things over charcoal?

The hibachi but this time with a view

10 Likes

Hibachi came to Ojai for kid’s birthday but this time got the Lamb lula love.

4 Likes

The Quails were really nice. Good chops. Great lula

9 Likes

one more time at the folks for the birthday

shots were had

6 Likes

с днём рождения товарищ

1 Like

thanks. .lol, i forgot to upload the pics.

1 Like

Not sure where else to put this. Does anyone know what device this is?

5 Likes

I knew FTC would deliver.

2 Likes

That seems to be the exact model as in the photo, but you can pick up one for 25% of the price at Tokyo Central. You can grab some binchotan charcoal while you are there too.

4 Likes

Note to self: don’t try to buy propane on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

No big deal since it’s a charcoal grill with gas ignition and I can just use a chimney instead.

1 Like

Question @nemroz. Do you cook everything as it is in this photo? Or is the top grate for keeping cooked food warm?

3 Likes

i move things above for a bit less temp cooking and to keep warm but with the lid closed it’s still plenty hot as the egg is heat retaining. i just cook whatever fits and keep things moving as needed. actually need to roast those spare ribs this way again

3 Likes

Thanks!

i finally have a smoker not an egg thingy!

14 Likes

Do you have any recommendations for paper to wrap? We just got a smoker and so far we’ve been wrapping in foil but would like to switch to paper.

I sure do I

tried foil as well and also waxy butcher paper. they’re all wrong. what you want is the stuff that lets some of the air and moisture out

This is what I landed on

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! AmazingRibs was a little general so I’ll take a brand recommendation any day

That’s interesting- do you find it extends the stall at all? I was skimming AmazingRibs recommendation on wrapping tightly and was surprised that the (home) experiment Greg Blonder conducted indicated that even minimal gaps or air leakage could have dramatic differences on the stall.

I’m a total BBQ noob so it may be splitting hairs, I was just surprised he found it could make such a difference. I would’ve thought that gaps or some minimal air and moisture escaping would be counteracted by some kind of equilibrium established inside the wrap but that’s complete speculation on my part.

1 Like

Oh that all sounds more advanced than me. Stall? When I wrap I know it allows them to cook through better and retain moisture but still letting them breathe