Where to stay in San Diego?

What neighborhood gives the best combination of walking distance to a beach and good restaurants?

La Jolla

La jolla is a good suggestion. Maybe best to stay wherever and just Uber or whatever around.

The good restaurants are all a significant drive from the beach?

Yes, pretty much. In La Jolla, there’s a cluster of good places around Prospect St. (George’s, Eddie V’s, Nine-Ten, Donovan’s). A little further north there’s another cluster (Marine Room, Osteria, Galaxy, Piatti’s). In Pacific Beach, there’s The Fishery, JRDN, and Oceana. In Coronado, there’s a cluster near the Hotel Del Coronado, (Stake, 1500 Ocean, Primavera, Chez Loma, Brigantine, Bluewater Boathouse – haven’t been to Bluewater, but heard good things). Further from these “clusters”, and you’ll really need some kind of transportation.

No such thing.

Good beaches are not near (at least not “walking distance” near) to quality eats.

Well, OK, but it depends on how long they’re going to be here. If it’s just a couple of nights, you don’t think that 1500 Ocean and Stake would be good places to dine if they’re in centre-ville Coronado? Really nice beach there.

No - 1500 Ocean isn’t as good as it once was and haven’t been to Stake but have heard very mixed things from friends

Guess I missed an important change at 1500 Ocean.

La Jolla village for the higher end
La Jolla Shores for quaint mid range
Del Mar/Solana Beach
Encinitas for surfer vibe
Coronado and bike

Define walking distance, and good beach. LOL

How about staying in the Gaslamp / Little Italy areas? Looking for one-night in a boutique hotel. We won’t be spending a lot of time in the room so it doesn’t need to be what my friend calls an ”It would be my pleasure” hotel.

San Diego is big and spread out. What are your plans during the day? If they are centered around the Bay, downtown and Little Italy then it would make sense to stay in that area since everything is accessible via the Trolley or pedicabs. If you’re planning to go out and about, you may be better served staying in another area.

Also, pay attention to the dates of your visit. Petco Park is downtown in the East Village and if the Padres have a homestand during your visit, it will be more crowded than normal, especially if the dreaded Dodgers are the opponent :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @DiningDiva. We’re only spending one night (a thurs) to meet friends who are in from VA and are staying in the Gaslamp District. We’re having dinner in Little Italy. So I figured we’d stay in the area.

Let me think on this one. I can probably come up with a rec or two

1 Like

I like using hotwire to find a 3 or 4 star in the Embarcadero or Little Italy area. I usually include gaslamp but there are a few stinkers. Hotel Tonight has been helpful and I recently got the Salomar for cheap.

1 Like

Thanks @JRSD. Just in time. I’m researching now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Forgot to mention to make sure you factor in parking since the downtown SD hotels rival the LA ones in price!

1 Like

Oops didn’t look at parking but I booked a nice hotel downtown for a good price on Hotels Tonite. Thanks for the hookup!

Cool, have fun!

1 Like