Which Berkeley Izakaya?

Trying to grab dinner with a friend on Thursday evening. Deciding between Fish & Bird and Ippuku, open to others if there are any better options that I missed in my search. Pretty much only care about food quality; not likely to be drinking and don’t especially care about price differences here. (Not actually sure I can get a reservation at Ippuku; they only take them by phone and I haven’t tried yet given that I’m undecided where to go. But :crossed_fingers: )

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts, especially if you’ve been to both :slight_smile:

(I am tempted by Fish & Bird’s hojicha ice cream, if it’s anything like Shunji’s, because that one was incredible and a round 2 would be pretty motivating.)

Ippuku’s food is impeccable but it’s hard to get a reservation and waits without one can be long. Went the other week and it was as good as ever.

I went to Fish & Bird only once, before lockdown. Looking forward to going back.

1 Like

Sounds like I ought to prioritize Ippuku if I can get a reservation, but I wouldn’t be disappointed by either?

Dunno but if the ice cream hasn’t changed that’s a plus for F&B.

Ippuku has finally made it possible to reserve on Tock! And I had a couple friends visiting from out of town this weekend, so I stopped by tonight. No pictures, sorry.

Cucumber & Miso
Chicken Gyoza

Neck
Thigh & Leek
Tail
King Trumpet Mushroom
Grilled Mochi
Beef Tongue

Chicken Chicharrónes
Kara-age

Everything was very good, but particular highlights were the gyoza (easily the best I’ve ever had), the tail, the mochi, and the beef tongue. At 8 pm they were out of quite a lot, including the thigh oysters, skin (which is why we got the chicharrónes instead), and wings.

Bill barely scratched $50/head all-in, and that was with a drink and dessert.

Good to know. Last couple of times they wouldn’t take us walking in; it’s always been so busy. I enjoyed my meals there from a few years ago.

Consider also Kiraku up on Telegraph. For 2, we’d usually order:

• Tsumami sampler: iburigakko, takowasa, spicy jellyfish
  • Suzuki carpaccio (not on the printed menu but I think I’ve had it almost every time) or daily special sashimi
  • Corn tempura with green tea salt
  • Shime saba aburi or grilled fish special
  • Buta-kim
  • Grilled angus beef tongue
  • Clam and cilantro ramen

Never let us down.

Oh yeah, Kiraku’s great. Had a long line sometimes.