Which Wich--not so bad

The appeal of a place like Which Wich is consistency across many locations. I’m sure we can all drop a neighborhood place that does way better sandwiches for less cost than a fast food franchise.

1 Like

I think the dislike of Bay Cities might be more secondary to the hype surrounding the Godmother. I think next time I’m willing to brave the line there, I’ll try a hot sub.

Well, to speak to Bigmouth’s point, I’m not so sure we all can. The sandwich places closest to me are Literati and Amandine… Not really cheaper than a franchise…

I myself am not a fan of The Godmother….but am a fan of Bay Cities.

Aren’t y’all used to the westside tax by now? =P

I am a fan of the GM, but like their poor boys more. BC bread elevates their sandwiches for me, which I know is another point of debate. But fresh non-Subway bread is pretty hard to beat in the arena of $8-10 sandwiches. Without it, I don’t think I would be nearly the fan.

You have any shots of the chicken parm?

Also, just curious, you ever go to All About The Bread? They seem to have directly copied Bay Cities’ bread.

Chicken Parm Bay Cities…Why Does Anybody Get Cold Sandwiches at Bay Cities!?
http://midtownlunch.com/los-angeles/2010/10/04/why-does-anybody-get-cold-sandwich-at-bay-cities/

1 Like

Like I said, “You eat it when you only have certain options. When you’re looking at the type of options where WW is a consideration, you probably eat WW because it probably sucks less than those other options.”

If you live in a place where you don’t have better options, and price is a factor, you probably do eat at which wich. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck. And of course when I say it sucks, I’m speaking in the context of this forum, which is created by and for the kind of people who aren’t stoked to go to which wich for lunch. There probably are places in west LA where you can find a banh mi for which wich prices that would be a better sandwich but maybe not I don’t know. But I lived on the westside for a while and I never had a problem finding a good sandwich, but I never cared about spending a few extra bucks for a better one. I have a hard time believing you can’t find a better sandwich than WW at the same price on the westside. I really have a hard time believing that.

And like I said, “I would opt for Mendo Farms over Which Wich any day of the week.” As Tony correctly surmised, I’m not saying there aren’t much better options on the Westside. I’m not even saying you’re wrong to think Which Wich sucks, as long as you’re clear that’s just your opinion (which you aren’t, but never mind).

My point – aside from expressing my own contrary opinion – is to challenge certain exaggerated claims. Like the assertion Which Wich is several dollars more expensive than Jersey Mike’s. (It’s not.) Or that a “banh mi from just about anywhere is better.” (Bad banh mis are the rule, not the exception, in much of LA.)

I actually don’t like the chicken parm from Bay Cities. The breading is too mushy for my taste – I like chicken parm to be more crisp. I usually get sausage and peppers if I want a hot sandwich at Bay Cities.

I actually prefer the chicken parm at Paninoteca, though I think we both agree the one at Gjusta was the gold standard. So sad it’s off the menu.

PS: @paranoidgarliclover, have you tried Quicksand? That’s another pretty decent option in your area.

1 Like

I think once. My vague recollection is that I had a positive impression. Did they offer dinner hrs once? I think Mattapoisett (sp?) had mentioned it on CH. If it’s the same place, I remember the sandwich being incredibly artfully packaged. Thanks for the reminder. Will need to try it again.

That would have not been me but after reading the OP on Chowhound, when Expo opens to SM in May, I’ll check it out. phamschottler was the CH Poster who liked it.

All About The Bread does, in fact, beat the heck out of every ‘chain’ sandwich place, and has served me very well with to-go dinners I can take to double-features and have between shows. :slight_smile:

There’s only the one?

From Eater LA today…There’s a new All About the Bread in town, setting up shop inside the Westfield in Century City. Opening soon.

I like the caprese and the black bean burger sandwich. The only thing I hate about which which is the write-down-everything-you want-on-it order process. I don’t want to try and guess what will be good on the sandwich I’ve chosen. If I knew that I’d make my own sandwich.

There is a place at 3101 Ocean Park in Santa Monica (north side of street, some parking inside to the rear) called Carvery Kitchen. Really good long-roasted meats. On the expensive side, around $11-12 for simple sandwiches, but very good.

In Culver City on the north side of Washington, across from the studio, is Victor Jr.'s. A really good and big Italian beef w/ au jus for $8+. Also meatball subs, eggplant or chicken farm, etc.

Is it going to be in the food court? If so, I’m pretty sure it’s already open; there’s some new sandwich place in the space that used to be occupied by the Lawry’s. I’ll check it out again on Friday.

Mr. Pizza will also be opening…

I saw this, too. Great addition to the food court! Anyone know when they open and what the hours will be? The All About the Bread website doesn’t mention Century City yet.

Ooh, good to know! Please do check. And if they are open, please ask if they’ll be open on the weekends, too. This will be a great post-movie option.

I believe About The Bread will be in the food court and the hours will be the same as the mall’s 10-9pm & 10-6 Sundays,….

1 Like