Which Wich--not so bad

I don’t understand - why do you have such a problem with me not liking this place? I thought this was a board for us to share our likes and dislikes. Why do you have an issue with me not agreeing with your consensus? I thought my sandwich was mediocre and was overpriced for what I got. That’s my opinion based on what my experience was. Just because you think this place is great doesn’t mean my experience and opinion are not valid.

Reading this thread, I seriously had the exact same fucking thought. It’s actually amazing that Gjusta is only a $4 premium on this shit…

Except that Which Wich is a 3 minute drive, while Gjusta is easily an hour away from those of us on the east side…

1 Like

boogiebaby, I have no problem with you. I have no problem with you steadfastly maintaining your opinions. When I reply to someone’s post, I am also sharing info and opinions with the other people reading the thread (who might not have been to some of the places under discussion)…If you think about it, that sort of thing is baked in to discourse on food (or other) boards. (Ironically, you refer to my consensus. I just have opinions. I don’t have a consensus–that takes several folks.) Party on. Enjoy your sandwich.

I live in West LA. Where do you suggest I go on my lunch hour for a cheap banh mi that’s better than Which Wich?

Mendocino Farms near you?

1 Like

Love Mendocino farms generally, and that pork belly specifically, but that’s stretching the definition of “banh mi” and “cheap.”

PS: To be clear, I would opt for Mendo Farms over Which Wich any day of the week. I just think it’s a lot harder to find good, cheap sandwiches than some people seem to think.

3 Likes

I had one of the worst sandwiches in recent memory at Stone Oven. Also, Jersey Mike’s doesn’t serve avocado. Comparing apples to apples, there’s maybe a dollar difference between Which Wich and Jersey Mike’s. Personally, I think it’s worth it because I think the toppings are more varied and of better quality at Which Wich, but it’s just my opinion.

Nah, more like how far are you willing to travel.

Willing… and able. That’s what I’m getting at with my cheap Westside banh mi question. But yes, when you get down to it, travel time is the main issue.

it’s actually $4 + a trip into the void aka Venice - I would consider the latter a HUGE markup.

Where on the east side are you? If anywhere near Pasadena, I would go to Market Fiore Cafe. All sandwiches under $10, and all on homemade bread.

You’re in West LA and still don’t have time to hit Gjusta for lunch. I get that Gjusta is putting the benchmark product here, but… when you can’t hit Gjusta, and there’s no $4 banh mi, Which wich is a tolerable workday lunch compromise as Mendo is significantly more $, with less outlets.

I think that’s what you’re trying to say, and I think most of us agree.

Except for boogiebaby cuz s/he needs a medium sando to power her through the day, and cuz the franchiser of her Which wich is a shark. And that is OK cuz s/he likes Jersey Mikes so s/he won’t be hungry at lunch, and that’s also OK cuz its CEO isn’t a giant douchnozzle ala Jimmy John’s.

FWIW, locally, Jersey Mike’s is basically the same price as Which Wich, so… proximity wins for me. But today, I’m going chile verde taco hunting in Compton.

Can we let this thread die now?

1 Like

I watched the kid at Jersey Mikes microwave the meatballs for my sandwich, but that was not as bad as their deplorable marinara sauce.

I’ll take Witch Wich in a heartbeat over Jersey Mikes. I like that muffuletta/olive spread stuff and must get it toasted. It is serviceable, but no way in hell am I paying $12 for it either.

You should try the other JM subs - the reuben is tasty, the cheesesteak is serviceable, and the cold cut sandwiches are decent approximations of the subs I remember in Jersey (actually the closest I’ve found in LA) - but don’t get the cold subs “mike’s way” to-go, it becomes a soggy mess.

I’m a she, not a he. And that medium sandwich is sometimes the only thing I eat all day so, yes, I would like it to be decent.

The Jersey Mike’s I usually go to does have avocado. Must be a franchisee decision. Costs an extra $1.

Bring on the tacos!

1 Like

[quote=“boogiebaby, post:56, topic:1943”]
I’m a she,
[/quote]tks. fixed.

[quote]Must be a franchisee decision
[/quote]i think the only thing we learned today is: it’s ALWAYS the franchisee’s fault.

But, as I see in a targeted ad, if you order WW online and use promo code COKE, you get $2 off your order. Your $12 medium sub is now $10! Eat up.

1 Like

I know not everyone love Bay Cities, but I do & it’s a steal at $7-$10….Large Chicken Parm, Meatball or Pastrami all around $9.

1 Like