Who makes your favorite onion rings?

I’m partial to Pann’s rings. I prefer battered rather than breaded.

6 Likes

The cheesecake is very good. Thanks for the recommendation. The best part is that the cake is pre sliced into 12 slices. You can have a very small slice to get ready for Super Bowl Sunday.

I got the last bag of Brew City onion rings and Hoffy dogs. It’s a shame smart and final isn’t closer because they have a very solid selection and good prices.

4 Likes

Sorry to um, dredge up an old thread but aren’t those breaded rings you have pictured? They look great, BTW.

3 Likes

To me, the battered rings look like they’re next to something else that is breaded.

This thread has me longing for Ringside Steakhouse in PDX

pic from google

4 Likes

LOL, well-played!

Yeah I probably should’ve worded this better. Like adding the word “but” and a provided bit more info. I assumed most people here had tried them.

I’m partial to Pann’s rings. I generally prefer battered rather than breaded but theirs don’t feel like typical breading. Maybe the method or whatever they soak them in before dredging. Plus they use very large onions cut thicker.

1 Like

Just had onion rings from Connie and Ted’s last night and they make a pretty mean one. Not breaded more like tempura’ed light and crispy.

Wish they had better dipping sauces tho. I used to use the remoulade but they stopped making that so I asked for ketchup and tartar and mixed it together for my own sauce.

6 Likes

The Hat has my favorite onion rings, but chili cheese fries are my default so it’s hard to justify more on top of that.

6 Likes

My friend likes to order chili cheese onion rings wherever he can at any restaurant that will do it.

5 Likes

The pickled onion rings at Majordomo served with the Flannery Porterhouse are my favorite. Before Richard left, he paired them with French Chablis (Dauvissat & Raveneau). We had them last week paired with Raveneau (decent restaurant value on the wine list but still a little baller) last week for a special occasion. My favorite way to celebrate :tada:!

6 Likes

ooohhh never been to the hat but Ill have to try this out

4 Likes

I have enough leftovers after getting a pastrami sandwich and chili fries, but onion rings would be gilding the lily. That is from experience, by the way… :drooling_face:

3 Likes

I saw those pictured somedamnwhere, and I thought to myself: “Perfect! Just the kind of onion ring I love – thin, crispy breading that looks about ready to fall off the ring.”

Two deal-killers though:
#1: Although there are some interesting things on the menu there, overall it’s a bit too pricey for me. I don’t usually associate onion rings with.that kind of menu.

#2: I didn’t realize they were pickled – IMO that’s a great way to ruin a perfectly good onion.

I initially thought the same, and it took me some time to finally try Majordōmo because of this, but once I finally decided to splurge on a meal there (was hosting a Singaporean* friend in LA for an overnight layover, and Nightshade had no openings available) I finally “got it” and do enjoy the occasional visit. No, Majordōmo isn’t cheap, and yes, incredibly satisfying versions of most of their offerings can be found in other places locally (albeit in less, ahem, “elevated” forms) for far less cost, but overall I still found plentiful value in the overall “dining experience.”

I highly encourage you to try it sometime, perhaps reserved to celebrate a particularly special life moment with a loved one; you will both appreciate it – I can almost guarantee it! Just pay with one of your best dining rewards credit cards (secure an effective discount) or maybe a card offering monthly payment plans for a nominal fee (about once a year my American Express even offers $0-fee “Plan It” promotions, too!). I was highly skeptical (and critical) of Majordōmo when it first opened per my posting history, but I’m a convert and consider it to be among the Greater LA-area restaurants one should try to experience at least once. Bonus points: their cocktail program is exceptional, IMO, with some good gin-based cocktails (this is essential for me).

*If you know any Singaporeans, they usually love places like Majordōmo – semi-exclusive places where reservations can be hard-to-obtain, highly Instagrammable culinary “experiences” with a chef’s name/pedigree behind them that just feeds into their deeply-ingrained kiasu culture.

5 Likes

It is certainly in the category of a special occasion and doesn’t lend itself right now to sitting at the bar with a beer and snacking on small plates.

I know some don’t care for pickled, but frankly, that’s what made these so special. The way it cuts the fat on the Flannery Steak is so satisfying and uplifting. But may not be everyone’s cuppa.

2 Likes