Whole Foods + Prime

final presentation picture stolen from the web was merely for illustration purposes

We rarely go to WF due to distance and perceived high pricing but I downloaded the app recently when stopping there for a specific vinegar only they seem to sell here. Bought just a few things and can’t say I really understand the discounting for Prime members. Total was somewhere around $35 and the Prime saving was just over $1. I need to learn how it works.

If you go with a predetermined list of items then you may not save a lot with Prime. If you specifically buy items on sale that week you’ll save a lot more. We generally focus on the proteins that are on sale and freeze extras. We buy a lot of 365 items.

Last week the Simply OJ was on sale for $2.99 which is cheaper than you’d find anywhere. This week we stocked up on the short ribs at $6.19 per lb instead of the usual $8.99 per lb.

2 Likes

The 365 house-brand items are very aggressively priced. A lot of name-brand items are priced competitively with other supermarket chains.

Prime membership is supposed to get you 10% more off sale items, other than that I think prices are the same. Depending on where you live there may be no delivery charge, but it’s not free unless you’re the kind of asshole who doesn’t tip.

Not 365. This Icelandic yogurt was on sale at Whole Foods. It’s thick and delicious. Low milk fat but wish it had less sugar. The yogurt is all mixed up so it’s not one of the fruit on the bottom types. I’d buy it again.

3 Likes

I shopped at WF on 7/4 because we needed eggs and Berkeley Bowl was closed. I’d planned to buy only eggs, but was surprised to see that prices were lower on almost everything else on my list including organic milk and butter, organic canned beans, and Diamond kosher salt. I think the only thing that was more expensive was Acme bread. On the other hand, the selection’s quite limited.

3 Likes

Ugly Drum also uses WF Brioche buns for their mail order sandwiches

For Amazon prime day Whole Foods was giving away free small bags to Prime members with some coupons and samples. What they were also doing weights on the scanned receipt was even more interesting.

Picture 1 shows 6.13 lbs for the St Louis style pork spare ribs

Picture 2 shows the receipt for 8.59 lbs for pork sparerb St Louis.

Could be a honest mistake but I’m definitely going to be checking weights on receipts moving forward.

1 Like

Something similar at a QFC in Seattle today. $10.99/# bacon for $1.99. Grabbed a couple for the freezer.

1 Like