Wine under 20$

Luckily, when the Rockwall wines were available, there was enough inventory that they were around for several weeks. The GO 10 miles from me had far more selections, more inventory, and got them earlier than the closer one.

To me that’s just basic business management logic, but I was vigorously chastised (back on CH) for even suggesting that one location might bring in more interesting product than another because of local customer mix.

2 Likes

On the SF board that was well understood. People regularly reported that they found some wine at the Oakland location when the Berkeley one was out or vice-versa.

There were a lot of ignorant trolls spouting nonsense on Chowhound. There were some who were there for nothing else.

2 Likes

My troll was one of the (I thought) most respected posters in the Bay Area and California.

Spouting ignorance on that particular subject, anyway.

Or maybe lying to try to get more of the deals for themselves.

I particularly liked the part where they said I didn’t know how to shop and didn’t recognize a great item when I saw it.

The king of bargain box wines has returned to K&L. Don’t want to oversell this but it’s pretty tasty friuliano that can’t be d.o.c.'d because its in a box. The downside is that more than three glasses will probably give you a hangover but it’s handy if you want to roll up to some event with a nice cold box of drinkable wine for you and a dozen of your closest friends.

3 liter box for $29 comes out to $7.25 a bottle

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1038182&searchId=c045b470-0f63-4f29-aefb-7935facfcc79&searchServiceName=klwines-prod-productsearch&searchRank=7

1 Like

The DOC rules really ban bag-in-box? If so that’s stupid.

So sez K&L in their description but I’ve had much worse d.o.c. wines so I’m inclined to take them at their word.

1 Like

Do they do other bag in box wines? I do trust them i would try it once to see

I’ve gotten several different bag-in-box wines from K&L, including a Chinon and a Picpoul. They come and go from the inventory.

Was it this Picpoul?

I’ve had a few from a great small winery in San Diego County and enjoyed it. Can I assume you’re recommending this if it’s the one?

Looks familiar, might have been that. It was 2007.

Domaine de la Pepiere Clos des Briords Vieilles Vignes Muscadet, at $19.99. My go-to muscadet for everything, cooking included especially for seafood. Excellent value.

If you’re lucky, you also may find some Julian Haart riesling for just about $20.

1 Like

Jo Landron “Amphibolite” Muscadet, also gone up to $19.99. I’ve bought numerous cases of this.

https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1629879

Thanks! I’ll look out for them :slight_smile:

$12 / liter, 10% off for 6. Not bad for the price. I have yet to compare with the current vintage of Sauvignon Republic which costs the same at Trader Joe’s but this tastes French rather than Marlborough.

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/white-wine/sauvignon-blanc/grand-sud-sauvignon-blanc/p/159989010

Thought I’d celebrate America by being lazy and getting the world-class rib tips from the recently re-vivified Ribtown BBQ on Jefferson.

Poked in the fridge something cold to cut the fat. This has stayed at $17.99 at KL for as long as I can remember and never fails as the perfect foil to bbq hog.

# 2020 Hirsch “Hirschvergnugen” Grüner Veltliner Kamptal

2 Likes

excited by this pick up from K&L. I’m a big fan of petite syrah when it’s done well.

really bummed that LA Wine Co closed down they always had good prices and not a deep selection but usually something new to me that often punched above it’s weight. At least K&L is coming to west LA they have a much better selection of wines in the under 20-25$ range than Wine House especially in French wines wine house has a deep selection but seems to focus mostly higher end bottles

2 Likes