Wood Tavern - Oakland

I go to Wood Tavern for lunch every few months, but this was only the second time I’ve gone for dinner. Usually when I think of going it’s already booked up but it was close to 9 on a Thursday and there were a few tables open.

I love the style of the place. It has the look and vibe of a casual neighborhood pub, but the food is first-rate. So is the service, which is true of only a handful of places in the East Bay.

Pork belly on fried pannise sticks ($12) was great. Super-rich but a reasonable portion.

Duck breast ($30) was perfectly cooked. Very French preparation.

Almond semifreddo ($8), great flavor and perfect texture. Usually when I order something called a semifreddo that’s not what I’m served, but this was the real thing.

$50 for three courses like those is one of the best values in the Bay Area. My companion’s soup, pasta, and crostata (none of which were very photogenic) was just as good a meal and only $40. No wonder the place is always full.

2 Likes

Always stop here at least once when I visit home. One of my favorite places in the East Bay.

Roasted Beet & Endive Salad ! Seckle Pear-Lime Purée, Pickled Starkrimson Pears, Pistachios, Champagne Vinaigrette

Pan Roasted Half Chicken ! Fingerling Potatoes, Grilled Radicchio, Spinach, Garlic Confit, Breadcrumbs, Lemon-Rosemary Jus

Never had the chicken before. So damn good. Seen it cooked a bunch of times sitting at the kitchen counter, happy I finally tried it.

Meyer Lemon Posset

1 Like