WSGV updates

Yes it’s the small takeout outpost of Meizhou Dongpo. I think their corporate offices might be nearby.

that explains the prices i’m seeing. thanks.

G V Yummy has opened up in the historic Jumbo Seafood location in Alhambra which has also housed such luminaries as The Kitchen and New Bay Seafood. Props to them for opening in the middle of the pandemic. There’s also two enclosed tents in the parking lot where you can sort through your takeout order.

another one of those “it’s been there for years but no one on FTC has mentioned it” in punjab cuisine/supermarket on that stretch of main/las tunas a few blocks away from the new branch of delicious food corner.i think it’s been there for over ten years. i’ll hope that someone more familiar with regional indian cuisine can comment on their fare.

1 Like

the SGV branch of sun nong dan now has about five (5) tables outside by their front door for dining in. i can’t confirm this, but i’ve heard their breakfast at $8.99 is now also a lunch special (and $1 extra for take out).

1 Like

Panasia, opened by the Phoenix Food Boutique people, pretty much served the same food you can get at Phoenix FBs, just written up different on the Panasia menu. I think when people realized Panasia served nothing new and nothing authentically Malay or Singaporean, people never went back. I know my friends and I never did.

SinBala Arcadia closed again. Not sure if this is the second or third time.

Are they still having issues w/ wage theft?

Did not realize that after reopening in May, Beijing Pie House in Alhambra closed again, supposedly to reopen August 1, but still closed. Now Yelp indicates a reopening date of 12/31/20.

1 Like

Sounds like outdoor seating will be available as well as take out. Tang Gong on Atlantic.

Tang Gong indeed is open. Open 10am to 3pm for outdoor dining and takeout.

1 Like

Tianjin Feng Wei.

New Tianjin spot opened up across from OG Sam Woo.

One of the smallest places in the SGV, right up there with the original Tofu King stall and Dean Sin World when it had half the space dedicated to dumpling prep area (and baking trays of cooling items on the other tables). Formerly Sizzling King and Chuan Yu Noodles Town (later known down Valley as Lucky Noodle King).

1 Like

killer noodle aka tsujita light opened a branch in the SGV hilton plaza about a month ago. they have three (3) tables set up outside. you have three basic choices:

tokyo
downtown
original
either dry or in soup and you can specify heat/spice level on a scale of 1-5 (or is it 6?)
regular/large.

additional toppings run $1.50 $2 extra.

regular size runs about $12, large around $14.

i went with a large tokyo style 4/4, which produced the faintest sheen of perspiration (you have to understand that i typically sweat profusely just from looking at a habanero pepper). it was tasty enough, but not that much better than my own homemade sesame sauce fortified with lao gan ma which i can make at home for about $2. but the waitress who could become the granddaughter i’ll never have was quite pleasant.

it’s a little weird seeing as that was my first dining out experience in over six months.

3 Likes

As I indicated in my recent Menuism article it’s be heartening to see so many previously closed Chinese restaurants reevaluate their circumstances and find a way to reopen. In probably the biggest return from the dead yet, Tasty Garden Monterey Park has reopened for takeout. They’re closed from 2pm to 5pm so I couldn’t get a complete look but they seem to have combo specials, emphasizing their Hong Kong cuisine…

1 Like

they’re have independent threads, but 5 stars hue & mexicali taco are two new additions to the WSGV. 5 stars hue (near valley/garfield) is legit central vietnamese AND offers al fresco dining. mexicali taco (san gabriel blvd just north of the 10) offers a cha-siu influenced al pastor. the location occupies a former wienerschnitzel and has 4 tables for outdoor dining.

and, as you mentioned in a separate thread, is going to reopen as jinhai pie house. the application for LLC lists the original MP BPH address so i assume this is for financial reasons and remain related to the original BPH.

their menu is one page one sided with a fair amount of white space.

i tried an order of the tianjian bao (9). they’re better hot IMO and microwaved them for a few minutes when i got home.

if you like XLB’s, you’ll like these bao; very soupy with a good broth, except the wrappers are more breadlike. for those who might find it too fatty, they came with a small container of vinegar that you’d typically use to complement XLB. 9 of them for $6.25 strikes me as a great deal. they take about 15 minutes to prepare after ordering, so you may want to call ahead if time is a factor. i suspect i will in the future; i plan on getting these fairly often.

the pies, described as pancakes on the menu, come with only two (2) choices of fillings: beef and pork. unfortunately, they were out of pork, so i ordered a single beef pancake. expect a similar amount of liquid, unless you get one that leaks. i’ve had beef pies that had rancid beef fat ruining the broth. nothing like that in this iteration.

TASTY FOOD in the supermarket mall at the corner of san gabriel and garvey shuttered a while back. pity; i enjoyed their versions of hainan chicken rice & fried chicken rice. their spot has been replaced with a vietnamese place that specializes in broken rice dishes. i did not get a chance to try anything yet. the place is called:

COM TAM PHUONG LINH

just as in chinatown, the vietnamese are expanding geographically; IIRC the supermarket now caters to more of a vietnamese market.

4 Likes

According to banner on the building, Borther BBQ (sic) will be replacing Gourmet BBQ on Garvey in Monterey Park.

1 Like

all right, i’ll bite; i assume it’s actually brother, is the typo yours or theirs?

1 Like

The sign says “Borther”

3 Likes