WSGV updates

Somewhere, on the DressTalkCentral board, tears are being shed…

2 Likes

gone. in less than 6 months. their own website now refers to themselves as “ace burger”

i’ll miss their bao. meat pies, not so much.

Strangely Ace Burgers does not serve hamburgers.

2 Likes

Hong Kong Cafe on Garvey in Monterey Park flips to take out dim sum after many decades.

1 Like

An interesting decision on their part.

What do they serve?

I just joined Facebook for SGV Eats group!

4 Likes

Chicken. They have a couple of chicken sandwiches so perhaps you could call them chicken burgers.

1 Like

sounds more like an identity crisis to me.

i was driving north up baldwin this morning and just before duarte on the east side of baldwin i saw a sign announcing the imminent opening of a new place whose name i can no longer recall. if only i’d had time to post before lunch. for some reason it struck me as being korean sounding (myung something???), which was the more noteworthy part of the story anyway in that korean food is continuing to expand its presence in the SGV…

also, there seems to be a new shanxi place called…

meet qin noodle

in alhambra near the intersection of main and garfield. those noodles look awfully chewy and are probably a yard long; two noodles per serving!

1 Like

After Tasty Garden Alhambra shut down a banner appeared over the doorway proclaiming the coming of a new Cantonese restaurant. A few days later the pandemic hit and not surprisingly the restaurant never came. But suddenly there is actual signage on the wall and a new banner says Cantonese food is coming soon. I think the name is Ah Mah or something like that. Hooray for perseverance!

2 Likes

new HK place in the mall at san gabriel/las tunas intersection opened for service last month, though to be more accurate, opened for serving cooked food; before that they were selling frozen goods only. tams noodle house. link to menu follows.

https://tamsnoodlehouse.wixsite.com/home/products

also, spanglish kitchen in alhambra (which got a mention in esparza’s book l.a. mexicano) is offering $1 fish tacos on friday during lent.

Which is apparently related to Qin West! (near USC and in West LA, Chinatown, and Irvine).

Did you try it? It’s been yrs since I’ve been to the West LA one. I thought it was pretty decent (and certainly a revelation, for the location, at the time it had opened).

Had the tomato egg biang biang noodles and the lamb burger. Former was good, latter was excellent. I’m not sure of any connection to Qin West, as Qin is a generic term relating to Shaanxi province. They are, rather, related to Terra Cotta Warrior in San Francisco, which I really like.

1 Like

Argh. I had looked at the Qin West website, and I just saw an address on Baldwin and somehow missed that it was in the Westfield mall.

Thanks for the report. Wonder why they changed the name for their LA branch.

That raises the question of why many Chinese restaurant owners retire for a while then reopen under a different name, while their old customers would love to reconnect with them but have no clue. (Stipulating away cases where they sold the old name.)

1 Like

the only example i can think of falls in the latter category - the family sold wang jia, moved back to china and then came back taking over the location previous inhabited by dalian small stone. then the folks who took over wang jia reopened under a new name in the location formerly occupied by… Q something at the SW corner of mission and las tunas where if you look very closely, you can see the outlines of the word ‘whatever’ on the facade in front. i thought it brilliant to be catering to the apathetic:

“where do you want to go to eat?”

“whatever.”

1 Like

The Wang Jia folks opened Old Shanghai Kitchen in the former Dalian Small Stone space. That space also was briefly home to one of BeBe Fusion’s multiple stops and is currently Lucky 1.

The current Wang Jia space is the former Emperor Noodles (and whatever the Q name was). The signage remnant was left over from Whatever Tea House, in the corner space. Even though it was pricier than most teahouses, it seemed reasonably busy, but there have been a couple more tea houses in the space since (it was Bubble Republic last I checked).

EDIT: At this point in time, I’m typing out loud, trying to recall what was what when. It’s more a form of mental exercise than anything else :smiley:

1 Like

in regards to the ranch 99 in alhambra on main, the boba place still exists, but the ramen place is gone, and there’s new signage for “mr.rice”. i wonder what’s going to be on their menu.

1 Like

Presumably another branch of the Mr Rice soup noodle chain.

2 Likes

Mr Rice-Chinese Restaurant | Online Order | Los Angeles, Riverside, Rowland Heights, San Gabriel | CA (mrricela.com)
Yun-Nan rice noodle soup.

1 Like

never heard of them. i was thinking more an ace burger type of scenario.