WSGV updates

sighted at the former location of king hua:

looking for info, i find that @chandavkl tweeted this a while back.

New owner and chefs with similar menu at Embassy Kitchen so I presume the new owner was able to buy the recipes too. A couple of the dishes were well executed and a couple were not. The old Embassy Kitchen had a number of dishes unique to the SGV so just having those dishes again is a big plus. However at its price point that would have to be the main attraction.

1 Like

What’s the food delivery app locals use in SGV? Does it go to OC? I’ll be caregiving at home for 5-6 days so I can’t leave to go very far. Is said delivery app better than the mainstream ones as far as not screwing with restaurants $$$? TIA

I think a lot of Chinese restaurants are using Chowbus and Fantuan. I’ve seen them outside of J Zhou and Earthen in the last 6 months.

Not sure about screwing the restaurants less with fees but I hope so.

1 Like

new england fish & chips at the corner of main & marengo in alhambra - the only place around here you could fish/chips OR taiwanese food - closed last month.

tonyc gave them a memorial RIP on yelp.

“The only Fish and Chips slash Taiwanese family meal restaurant in SoCal has shuttered due to lease termination: rest in grace New England Fish & Chips, Alhambra. Thank you for serving the desperate community through the pandemic. Rest in power.”

6 Likes

Confirming that the old chef that made Embassy Kitchen so great is indeed now doing dinner at Ocean Bo in El Monte. The menu is truncated with a handful of the order in advance dishes included and few of the dishes that were on the Chinese only menu. However they are able to make many of those dishes on request. I’d say some of the flavors are not as subtle as before. My guess is that due to a lower price point at Ocean Bo they had to substitute out some of the more refined ingredients.

9 Likes

Also there is allot of Chiu Chow dishes on the menu

3 Likes

Is ocean bo worth a drive to El Monte? Or is it comparable to Cantonese food in Alhambra and monterey park area?

1 Like

a friend just dined at embassy kitchen and said while many of the dishes remain, the execution isn’t quite as good as with the old chef. I tipped them off to Ocean Bo to try.

It’s worth it for their selection of dishes.

1 Like

Before the Embassy chef and Embassy dishes it seemed like a solid neighborhood spot. Now I think it might be worth exploring. Definitely try the dishes that you have to order in advance (crispy chicken with shrimp paste, stuffed duck). There is also quite a few Chiu Chow dishes on the menu…omelettes, marinated meats, porridge’s, soups, etc. Dont know if they have those Chiu chow desserts with taro.

That’s all based on the menu pics on Yelp. It’s all dim sum pics.

Much like Sea Harbour Yelpers focus on dim sum and not really caring for the dinner menus with very tasty, unique, interesting dishes. Canto food is more than just dim sum, roasties, and cafe food.

Please give it a try and report back

2 Likes

What’s a solid weekday lunch place in the WSGV these days? Looking for something new - I’ve tried Qingdao (love bread food), HK Cafe, Northern Cafe (regular rotation for me), You Kitchen, Taipei Bistro, Savoy (meh)…

Yang’s Kitchen?

2 Likes

Did that just before the pandemic shutdown. I hear their menu has changed upon reopening - sounds good!

Bopomofo Cafe for their Honey Walnut Shrimp burger. But You may need two though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoa I thought BPMO had closed?! Great to know they’re alive and kicking.

Zui Xiang Yuan
I like it better than Northern or You.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks. Like you, I am an Angeleno in exile (admittedly, voluntarily). Will add this to places to eat for my next family visit.

1 Like

I am sure their delivery appeals to those who are a whole lot younger than me, but I do appreciate the scouting and reportage!

1 Like