WSGV updates

as of last friday:

“…Yan Lu, the former owner of multiple Los Angeles-based restaurants, and her brother William Lu, pleaded guilty in Los Angeles Superior Court to conspiracy to file a false sales tax return and filing a false sales tax return. Yan Lu also pleaded guilty to an additional charge of filing a false income tax return. Sentencing will occur at a later date. Yan Lu will receive a three-year split sentence, serving one year in county jail and two years on mandatory supervision. William Lu will be placed on two years felony probation, and serve four months in county jail. Together, the duo has paid the full $2,184,696 owed in restitution, of which $1,649,499 was paid to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) and $535,197 was paid to the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB). The amounts represent the tax owed, the interest on the outstanding tax, and the cost of the investigations.”

3 Likes

Maybe they can make dumplings in the kitchen if they are on good behavior.

Yes but they only settled the state of California charges. I presume they also filed false federal income tax returns so they will have to reckon with IRS in a bigly way.

2 Likes

finally tried the place. they offer ‘burgers’. we ordered one with pork & one with (i think) beef.

a friend who hails from israel made a comparison to a pita which would not have occurred to me. he liked how the bun didn’t get too soggy to handle and fall apart. the fillings were tasty and i suppose comparable in size & price to fast food burgers at $5.99 each.

ordered the biang-biang with lamb & cumin

and the cold shaanxi noodle

which were tasty enough, but if only the noodle texture had matched its appearance; they were a bit on the flaccid side. the portion size was appropriate for the cold noodle at $5.99), but i was underwhelmed with the (otherwise same) portion size of the other noodle dish which was almost twice the price at $10.99) . the serving plates were maybe 8" in diameter.

friend (who has been a part of my weekly lunches to new places in the SGV for over five years) also commented on how this place is on the main drag (pun intended) of downtown alhambra and gets a lot more foot traffic than most of the places we’ve patronized over the years. granted xiang la hui is also on main, but near atlantic where the car dealerships start - you pretty much have to intend on going there to pass by the door. M.Q.N. may survive by appealing to the less discerning enthusiast passing by vs. the more knowledgeable who can get better quality noodles and larger portions at places like liang’s or northern chinese cuisine down in monterey park.

nice segue: new place near garvey & lincoln with some shaanxi regional dishes on the menu called NOODLE ART which got a recent mention on LA eater for best dishes eaten this week with a pic of

which caught my eye. hope to try this place out soon.

5 Likes

Lucky Seafood appears to have been reincarnated as Taste of MP at the same location on Garvey in Monterey Park.

1 Like

Oh, now THAT does look good!

1 Like

Yep, that stir fried liang fen at Noodle Art is really good. I hadn’t had this rendition around here before and thought it would be interesting. I didn’t know how well it would soak up the sauce, but it does so very well. It almost reminded me of eating unctuous pork belly but without the guilt.

If you’re lucky, there will be a table of Chinese uncles also eating there and one of them will randomly step outside to smoke and talk on the phone loudly. The cigarette smoke will waft into the door, to your table, and you’ll get the authentic Chinese experience.

2 Likes

Chef Tony opened in Arcadia last week. Limited menu. Didn’t see any of the interesting items I had last year at their Old Town Pasadena location. Don’t think I’ll be trying it just yet.

4 Likes

i heard it’s at the Old Din Tai Fung location?

Yes, the original Din Tai Fung spot on Baldwin.

4 Likes

I called to inquire about their dinner menu and found out that Chef Tony Arcadia has only one menu. Dim Sum all day everyday.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve been dreaming about an all day dim sum restaurant don’t need to make a mid day trek out to sgv. I wonder if tony will be any good. I heard that initial reports were lukewarm of the Pasadena location.

2 Likes

Well the dim sum at Chef Tony Pasadena was fine, just that it did not meet expectations of a superior product in the weeks that they were open. I guess they’re going the Tim Ho Wan dim sum only route.

1 Like

Just for clarification does that mean it’s passable but maybe not up to sea harbour level? Do you have a comparable dim sum restaurant that you might compare it to?

It was a tossup as to whether Pasadena Chef Tony was as good as Sea Harbour or not. Which was not a good thing given it’s cost, not to mention the expectations.

1 Like

Ah ok well I will wait to hear reports back but the whole day dim sum thing sounds great as long as it’s not tim ho wan quality.

Pasadena Chef Tony was far better than Irvine, Honolulu or Manhattan Tim Ho Wan.

2 Likes

Garvey x Garfield.

Noodle Art is a new Xian spot that looks pretty damn good.

1 Like

see about 15 posts higher