WSGV updates

J_L, that bowl of Shaanxi-style noodles looks simply outstanding. I must try.

1 Like

Ask the lao ban niang for (or just point to what I’m about to type):

紅燒牛肉寬麵 - 半筋半肉 ( Hóng shāo niú ròu kuān miàn - bàn jīn bàn ròu )

Braised beef wide noodles - half tendon, half meat

Try some of the cold apps while you are there: The shredded potatoes ( 土豆絲 - tǔdòu sī) from fellow customers’ tables looked good.

5 Likes

But it actually translates as “female boss,” right? The only reason I ask is b/c, based on my father’s usage, I had always assumed it meant “boss” but never bothered to look it up (until now).

Correct. More like Proprietress.

1 Like

Lao ban means boss (老板). Lao ban niang (+娘) means loosely boss lady or boss’ wife usually used in shops and restaurants when the lady is the boss. I’ve never heard it used in business settings but I also don’t do business in Chinese.

1 Like

Anybody have good suggestion for a place open at 11am on Friday that is kinda halfway between Pasadena and Brea? Preferably Chinese food - can be dim sum but doesn’t have to be.

Sea Harbor in Rosemead was my first thought.

Cindy’s Kitchen, in Hacienda Heights, right off the 60-Fwy. Opens at 11AM.

2 Likes

if you like dumplings, ly family kitchen in rowland heights deserves consideration. besides doing a good job with the typical fillings, they also offer fillings such as lobster/chicken & corn/ and even mackerel. they also offer frozen dumplings to go.

or if the fusion of cantonese/mexican that developed in mexicali due to the chinese exclusion act intrigues you, there’s cachinella in pomona.

otherwise cindy’s kitchen would probably get my vote.

3 Likes

I think those are special order items.

according to their website which then linked to a beyondmenu page

their only pre-order special items are a sea cucumber dumpling and a ‘cuttlet fish dumpling’. and they’ve got an impressive list of frozen dumplings.

having said that, it may well be that they don’t serve some of the frozen offerings for consumption there, which would strike me as a little odd, but hey, i bet they probably do special orders if properly motivated.

Major downhill alert for Lunasia in Alhambra. It’s kind of nice they’ve gone full steam ahead on minimizing contact. Main dining room has been partitioned off into separate dining areas. But here’s where it gets annoying. Even if you dine in, you order online from your smartphone, then all your dishes arrive at once. And you never see a server again unless you flag them down. But that’s besides the point. Lunasia is not one of the more inventive of the top tier dim sum places in town, but they do the standards very well. But not any more. Our first post-redesigned dining room visit had many more misses than hits. This is certainly not the Lunasia I’ve been used to eating at.

6 Likes

Has Shanghai No. 1 Seafood Village in San Gabriel reopened? I believe the space was listed for lease last year. Yelp shows it as active with two February reviews and Google seems to indicate it’s open, too.

1 Like

Sheng Yuan Dongbei opens in San Gabriel replacing Pho Hai Kieu. Don’t recall a cuisine flip of a location like that before.

1 Like

The former Chung King? That went through a few changes, then stablizied as Pho Hai Kieu.

Interesting, Dongbei stalwart Shenyang Tasty (the former Shen Yang) is further up San Gabriel, having moved one building up from next to the former HK Market now Good Fortune Market.

1 Like

I definitely want to know more about this. Same folks? Different folks, same name? Intriguing.

1 Like

Too bad about Pho Hai Kieu. Quite liked their northern, Hanoi style stuff.

are we thinking of the same place? i recall PHK specializing in pho ga. they had a unique ginger based dipping sauce for the chicken.

originally on garvey near atlantic? another dongbei place took over that location & i assumed they’d just gone through a name change. that place & chef geng were my default dongbei places to patronize. thousands nasty, er, tasty did the WSGV a favor by burning down. looking back, i now wonder if it was arson - if not by the owners, then by customers.

1 Like

Don’t think you’re wrong, but we ended up ordering bun cha and banh cuon and in talking to the son of the owners, learned they were originally from Hanoi.

Yes, formerly Chung King and Crown Cafe.

2 Likes

The Bowl replaces Fu Fu BBQ in San Gabriel, which transitorily replaced Sweethome Cafe.