WSGV updates

Arcadia’s Ikka Sizzling Pot has just opened a San Gabriel branch in the same shopping center as Mian. Due to the shortage of restaurant locations in the San Gabriel Valley, they took over space that last housed a women’s dress shop.

1 Like

Same name, different restaurant. The current Shen Yang Tasty was formerly the Shen Yang on San Gabriel Blvd., just south of Las Tunas.

Not to be confused with the Shen Yang on Garvey or Shen Yang that was in City of Industry. The three restaurants apparently had no connection to each other aside from the name and all being Dongbei-style (hence Shen Yang). Even though there was a lot of overlap, some didn’t even have the same items. One of the most SGV things ever.

1 Like

Chao Wei Ju replaces Nguyen Hoang in San Gabriel after a quarter century. Chiu chow style noodles etc.

tony’s BBQ is setting up inside the ranch 99 in alhambra. a sign proclaims that they will also be offering bibingkas, which i understand is a filipino specialty. perhaps they’re trying to leverage off the jolibee that replaced the arby’s in the same mall?

2 Likes

Ohhhhh, I was wondering what that was! For some reason I thought it was a bibingka only place that was opening up which seemed a little too specific

warrior: i went to Noodle Art last week and was unimpressed by everything. i’ve had better luck at nearby Northern Cafe on Garfield.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Meet Qin in that genre.
Especially the Lamb and Cumin!

1 Like

Went to noodle Art over the weekend and really liked the fried intestines with chili and sichuan (or whatever the “right” Romanized spelling is) peppercorns.

hard to mess that up. when i visited, i found the noodles to be overcooked, along with lower QPR due to portion size.

that’s true, though I did find the lamb a notch above many other noodle joints.

it’s difficult to mess up lamb with cumin. what exactly made their rendition better?

Quality of the lamb was better, nice balance of spice and cumin, noodles were thick and chewy.

2 Likes

Seems like China Red in Arcadia May have been replaced by something called Dim Sum Box.

Actually this appears to be a Google error. Dim Sum Box has opened on Huntington Dr.

1 Like

Construction in progress at former Uniboil location in Monterey Park’s Atlantic Times Square. New occupant is something called Trump Card Roast Fish. Presumably another one of these Chinese roast fish restaurants.

2 Likes

Great Name

6 Likes

there’s an unsubstantiated rumor (reported on FB) that long time shanghaiese stalwart J&J is closing this weekend. nowadays i’d rather go to shanghai dumpling house at the hilton plaza, but they along with meilong village and happy kitchen (?) made up what i once thought of as the holy trinity of XLB in prospect plaza.

3 Likes

The third of the XLB trinity was Dragon Mark. When I first started going down to the SGV, the nickname for that plaza was “XLB Plaza.” Dragon Mark was open into the AM hours. Famously, it’s also where the mayor of San Gabriel had the incident that led to his downfall.

4 Likes

Had no idea of this story:

2 Likes

Once again tripped up by this board’s inane three post in a thread limitation. I wouldn’t celebrate the demise of Thousands Tasty. They actually re-emerged shortly thereafter in Rosemead as Tasty Thousands (presumably bad luck to use the same name again) where they are still operating today.

1 Like

ok. i did a search on dongbei on yelp and this place did not come up. did they change their menu?

we ate there once. the consensus of our party of six was not kind. not only was the food bad, the floor show of supplies being wheeled from a BMW SUV in the front parking lot through the eating area into the kitchen during our meal contributed to the bad vibe. the person whose friend recommended the place was very embarrassed, and she stopped coming out for lunch. we’re talking serious shame here.

EDIT: interesting; their yelp page/reviews all describe the cuisine as ‘northern chinese’ but no one uses the term dongbei - even the reviews of those who claim to be from that region.

many recent reviews reflect my opinion of the place.

1 Like