WSGV updates

When I went to Tasty Thousands last year they were still using the Thousands Tasty menu. I notice that Tasty Thousands Yelp rating are also consistent, rated at 2 1/2 stars. There are references to Northeastern cuisine though.

i saw a number of recent low rated reviews, to which i tend to give weight given the impact of the pandemic.

thanks for the awesome information.

5 Likes

Pho Saigon Pasteur is now (finally) open at 235 W Main St, Alhambra. Excited to try this new addition to the neighborhood

3 Likes

No, it always has been Delicious Chengdu.
Are you a regular visitor there? Me too!

Welcome to FTC!

1 Like

Looks like Chef Tony is re-opening!
There is a big sign saying it is hiring

2 Likes

Just went there last night, and it was super crowded!
I used to love XiangJi when they are on Garvey. Feels casual, homestyle. But the new location with spacious dining hall and plenty of seats just don’t feel right. Also, there are so many Cantonese restaurant choices in this area, and XiangJi doesn’t seem standing out in any perspective.
But they seem very busy, that’s a good sign.

Have you tried it, let me about your thoughts.

@MalaFan

What is your favorite Sichuan noodle place? Chong Qing Special, Mian, Best Noodle, etc

Well I am super critical about noodles since I grown up eating all kinds of noodles back in China. Everyone in our grandma’s generation is a noodle master… when I came here, I can only stay with what we have.

I stayed in Chongqing for a couple months and had Chongqing noodle almost every morning during my stay. It was amazing! I tried so many noodle places in the State, and all are far away from what I remembered about Chongqing noodle.

Mian by Chengdu Taste used to be my fav. It’s still not the flavor I got in Chongqing, but close.
I also tried their West Adam location, it’s lighter, and not spicy or numbing at all. so I guess they adjusted the taste to fit in that area.

I visited Chongqing Special Noodle a few years ago. They have very good noodle in general, but it’s not Chongqing noodle! Too wet - If you serve that thing back in Chongqing, you’ll be asked for a refund. My favorite dish there is a Shanxi style noodle, not the spicy ones… I don’t know if they have changed their menu since then. I should check it out.

And honestly you can have noodles at other Szechuan restaurants, even noodles are not their specialty. Places like Xiang La Hui, Chengdu Impression (my favorite cold shredded chicken noodle), and Chengdu Taste all have pretty good Szechuan noodles. And Delicious Chengdu has very nice Dan Dan.

So if you ask for my opinion, I would say no one really stands out in terms of Chongqing or Szechuan Specialty noodles. but if you’re really craving for that noodle, then they are all pretty good choices.

19 Likes

Thank you for the response and welcome to LA FTC!

3 Likes

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for providing a summary about the places you’ve tried. I’ve also had noodles at all the places you mentioned, and would love to get your opinion about my sleeper favorite spot in WSGV. I’ve completely burned myself out from this place since I used to go twice a month haha.

Personally for sichuan noodles, I’ve been a really big fan of DX Lab on Valley/San Gabriel Blvd.

• all of their noodles from thin to thick are super Q, borderline undercooked for the thicker ones, but supremely satisfyingly chewy
  • they have 4 different versions of dan dan noodles all utilizing different meat types and noodle widths
  • first place I got to try sichuan sweet and strange sauce, which was awesome on the thick noodles
  • Their drinks and appetizers are pretty mid and would generally stick to their noodles here
  • but I want to point out that both their Burn in Hell spicy wontons and their Twice Cooked Pork are fantastic and definitely above average in SGV IMO.

Sweet and Spicy Strange Sauce Thick Noodles

Spicy Crunchy Beef Noodles

Twice Cooked Pork

13 Likes

Hui Tou Xiang opened up a second location in Hollywood.

4 Likes

Did not know that.

1 Like

I’m gonna need them to open a third location in the South Bay because I love their kimchi. :smile:

4 Likes

Lol that would be so good we definitely need more chinese options down here

2 Likes

Where/what is the best play in WSGV for biang biang noodles?

Do you know when this opened? I see it on their website but there’s not much else about it online!

2 Likes

I just saw it on IG. It’s kinda of a surprise to me. That’s probably the most authentic Chinese food ever in the heart of Hollywood.

2 Likes

Anyone been to Chao Wei Ju? It’s Chiu Chow. Doesn’t look like it’s Vietnamese-Chiu Chow or Cambodian-Chiu Chow