WSGV updates

the mexicali taco location in the old wienerschnitzel closed this week. DTLA remains open.

3 Likes

not enough people interested in the char-siu al pastor?

i tried it, along with the fried with mustard version and i wasn’t overly enthralled by/with it. i think you get more flavor penetration with smaller pieces of meat & more surface area vs. an al pastor approach (i find an irony there as al pastor is originally lebanese) to char siu. chacun à son goût. i suspect that the overall lack of seating may have had something to do with it. you patronize a truck and you expect to eat standing up. you go to a brick & mortar location and you kinda expect to be able to sit - like the new carnitas el momo location in monterey park (if you haven’t tried them yet, you should, BTW). they had a few tables, but people (especially families) tended to linger. the few tables worked for the expectations one might have for a wienerschnitzel. and even the carnitas el momo truck is located outside their home, and they had patrons eating inside the house as the one picnic table they have really isn’t enough seating for servings that require plates.

4 Likes

Taisiu Lucky moves from San Gabriel and replaces Hunan Maojia on Valley Blvd. in Rosemead. And Boston Lobster has finally made the move into their new space in Rosemead, historically occupied by Bahooka. Meanwhile, the San Gabriel branch of Monterey Palace (??) is now called Le Yuen BBQ, in the continuation of a name game that started decades ago. Le Yuen is the Chinese name for Monterey Palace, and before becoming Monterey Palace in Monterey Park, they called themselves Le Yuen (and a couple of other things before that), all without any basic change in operation.

2 Likes

I’m wondering what the current state of Hunan cuisine is in the SGV. Anyone?..Bueller? There was a time when Hunan Mao was perhaps the “(b)est”, but when the original owner sold it, the quality noticeably dropped. When I looked into Hunan restaurants in 2019, it was kind of depressing as items had recently been dropped from menus at some places and the quality had fallen at others.

Hunan Chili King by default now?

1 Like

i can think of only three places off the top of my head: besides HCK, there’s hunan & dong ting chun. i kinda liked xiang for the brief time it was open, but i can’t swear that i’ve experienced authentic hunan cuisine, so you can take that endorsement with a grain of salt about the size of a baseball. and with the pandemic’s impact on the restaurant industry in general i’d hesitate to offer any endorsements based on pre-pandemic knowledge/experience.

The only place I ever had Hunan was at Henry’s Hunan Restaurant in SF, but that was long ago. It was good. I think I even bought his cookbook.

boston lobster has reopened at the intersection of rosemead & lower azusa.

2 Likes

Mr. Breakfast replaces Chef Geng in Rosemead right next to Blooming VIP.

there aren’t that many dongbei regional restaurants around anymore. i miss shen yang and their korean naengmeon - which would be really good on a hot day like today.

aka the old Bahooka location

1 Like

Sichuan Impression will be opening a restaurant on Alhambra’s Main Street. Not sure if it’s a second location or a move. Window signage states “Sichuan Impression 2.0”.

they announced this on their FB page a couple of months ago.

the accompanying verbage makes it unclear whether it’s a new location or a move.

Per the SGV Eats Facebook group, Shau May in Monterey Park burned down. Not the greatest food, but a good value for umpteen years. ABC Cafe damaged. No word on Happy Garden.

2 Likes

wow.

1 Like

I caught that on the news last night. Shau May may be rather unspectacular, but there are those shen jian baos. Also, the first place I had shaved ice.

4 Likes

those shen jian bao are the best in LA again now that tasty noodle house (the dalian one) shuttered for good.

2 Likes

which place?

kang kang food court has the same ones (same ownership)

2 Likes