WSGV updates

It’s possible No 8 on the Bund is the Rice Yummy (Rosemead) people.

At 69 W. Green St. in Old Town, Le Chateau De Tien Tao is currently having a soft opening. I’m told the food is good.

Master Hu Kitchen finally opens in the space which housed J & J Shanghai restaurant for three decades. I believe that the new restaurant remodel started in 2022, so it’s been a long buildout. Master Hu serves Changsha style dishes, so since I just found out that Xiang Cuisine in Monterey Park closed a while back, I guess that’s a net push for Hunan style food.

3 Likes

Miss Happy opens in San Gabriel in the same plaza (Prospect) as Chicha San Chen, Jell n Chill, Mian etc. Serves skewers and drinks in bear shaped containers.

2 Likes

Their taro is also really good. Surprised it (Melo Melo) doesn’t get mentioned more often here. Pricing is a bit dear, but I’ve really enjoyed it the few times I’ve had it.

2 Likes

Re: Wang Jia.

It’s interesting that Bill Addison reported it as a “new” place, when my understanding is its the same family that ran Wang Jia when it was over on San Gabriel Blvd. for years, and seemed overlooked (personally, I thought it one of the better Shanghainese places). Is that true? Do I have it wrong? Something else? Can I write more questioning sentences?

1 Like

We could “play at questions,” what do you think?

I think you’re right. Perhaps it’s because of the time gap between the locations.

If I had it my way I would love to try everything as a self proclaimed coconut whore myself.

I love taro desserts so I definitely would give that a try.

They have a good amount of locations too.

IIRC the original family that ran the OG wang jia decided to move back to china and another family took over the san gabriel location, which IIRC eventually shuttered. in the mean time, the original family came back and opened old shanghai kitchen (which i really liked) but morphed into shanghai bistro. they took over the wang jia name again in 2019 when they moved to their current location.

speaking of shanghaiese cuisine, bund on valley shuttered recently.

Yes, that’s what I recall too. That the Wang Jia saga was rather complicated between what the owners, staff and chef did…or where they went.

Lu Kee Delicatessen taking over the long vacant Dragon Garden space next to the Monterey Park Good Fortune Market.

1 Like

How many places have been in that space since Xi’An Tasty? Not many, right? Mainly vacant, as you stated.

I think that’s correct. After Xi’an Tasty there were signs that a boba place that had a location in East LA was going to set up there, but they were never open when I went by.

1 Like

Chao Wei Ju.

This place looks great. Chiu Chow noodles, sacha beef ribs, rice cakes. House made sauces.

Check Kristie Hangs ig page.

Foshan Cantonese King opens in Arcadia, replacing Hometown Seafood.

1 Like

Coming soon to Garvey Ave. in Monterey Park. Zheng Dou Kee Wonton King.

3 Likes

Went a couple months ago and liked it. The beef rib with the soup was hilariously big, the sauces were great. Broth much lighter than beef noodle soups I’ve had in the path (no surprise as it’s chiu chow).

1 Like

I feel like a bad Taiwanese because this is my first time at Ahgoo’s. I can’t believe how freaking amazing this is.

Also down the street from Dai Ho

8 Likes

Sacha Beef and Water Spinach. I wish there was more beef lol

Dong Ding Oolong Latte

The ladies at Chicha San Chen making some of the best drinks.

7 Likes