Yangban Society

It was a couple separate meals, but enough each time to make me be like “huh, wow”.

@PorkyBelly haven’t had it :see_no_evil:

Just such a weird system too. Here, spend 60 per person ordering from a counter and having no real concept of whether you have enough or too much food because the guidance is non-existent. My cashier had had like none of the food on the menu.

3 Likes

WTF?

Yeah, the ordering is weird if you’re eating there too because stuff is priced by weight it is kind of hard to know how much you’re going to spend if you ask for what a “medium” serving of egg salad is. I guess people kind of have to wing it or keep adding on to make sure they’re not blowing their budget.

1 Like

so this month they’re starting limited reservations for a $50-per-person chef’s choice dinner. It will include early hits like the congee pot pie (gilded with abalone) and galbi-style beef ribs.

Could be the move.

3 Likes

So that’s about $2000 worth of food on the table in the photo, right?

Congee pot pie is the play, portion is one per person though as it is the size of a cup of soup.

4 Likes

My buddy had this and gave me a bite–can confirm it’s good.

1 Like

fyi

4 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

$45? Sounds good. I think I paid that much for 8 oz of potatoes from their deli case.

2 Likes

Best to budget in an extra $15 + $6.30 (fuel cost) for post meal bang at Tire Shop Taqueria.

6 Likes

Or tortas df or holbox or all of the above

1 Like

Here’s the yangban menu which is $5 off for DineLA. Strange setup for first timers - buy drinks at market, pay for dinela at cashier, order supplements via QR code (leads to square link above with table number already keyed in).

The below was $165 or so all in. We left full.

13 Likes

Looks like a pretty standard menu items with exception of the tostada?

Impression of food vs QPR?

General dining public will find it a poor value. People who are used to eating at $150pp places will find it on the upper end of reasonable given the strange blend of service - ie pay at a cashier up front + QR code ordering - but they will gladly give you as many clean plate changes as you’d like, and are very good about keeping the tiny tables cleared.

And that tostada amuse was glorious

7 Likes

^ if anyone is surprised by how they normally operate with counter service (like previously mentioned gjusta) it’s even stranger how they are doing dinner service now. It’s only been a couple weeks they’ve been doing it so there were a bunch of hiccups they need to work through, but it also has a held-together-with-duct-tape feel at the moment.

Food is pretty good though–more thoughts coming with pics when I get around to it (ie: :disguised_face: mode)

8 Likes

Funny you mention that. I randomly encountered someone visiting from another state on the westside yesterday, and I told them that, if they wanted a really “LA” experience, they should go to Gjusta b/c of the weird juxtaposition of extreme poverty walking up to the restaurant + counter service + relatively high prices.

Oh, maybe your rating scale should now be your disguised emoji!

3 Likes