Yasu OOE Omakase - Beverly Hills

Here’s the latest entrant to the LA high end edomae-style omakase arena. Hailing from Toronto, Yasu Beverly Hills is the first branch of the acclaimed sushi-ya Yasu Toronto by Yasu Yasuhisa. Strangely, there seems to be very little publicity other than the odd LA Times article. But no matter, given the flagship’s seemingly great reviews by Yelp and critics alike, along with its relatively low price point at a mere $130 per person for omakase, the restaurant caught my attention and off I went.

Decor: Minimalist, understated, dark, and moody. There are 10 seats at the sushi counter and 14 other table seats.

Service: Although no oshibori (hot towel) was offered and our server was friendly but slightly awkward at times, service overall was on point and rightly so given that the staff to guest ratio was greater than 1 for our 8:15 seating. Hint: There were only 3 guests.

Itamae: Two itamae were there with Zac-san (formerly of Shiki) and Hatsuno-san? (formerly of Zo). Yasu-san, the founder/chef of the Yasu was also present at the restaurant, but he wasn’t serving anyone nor did he greet my party of 2. He simply went in and out of the back kitchen all night.

Shari: Well seasoned and very neutral tasting with akasu being the only vinegar used. Texture of the rice wasn’t as toothsome as I would like but that’s merely a personal preference. Temperature of the rice was consistent throughout (since the same batch was used for the entire meal) which was a slight problem at Inn Ann and even SGO. Overall, I would put the rice at the level of Inn Ann.

Summary: I see lots of potential but this night fell well short of the top tier sushi-yas in LA. Zac-san’s sushi formation was great with obvious “sigh” on every piece of nigiri he formed, but somehow, many neta felt somewhat muted. On the other hand, I had two main problems. Firstly, the restaurant’s neta selection was sorely lacking…no saba, no kohada, no nodoguro, no tako, no no kinmedai, no menegi, no kanpyo, nothing marinated, nothing aged (because they’ve only been only for 2 days)…you get the idea. Secondly, texture variety was equally lacking throughout this night’s omakase. Piece after piece, Yasu went for the “consumer friendly”, as @Sgee put it, neta in maximizing the melt-in-your-mouth texture and nothing else…BUT I was told that they’ll have more selection down the road. Overall, at only $130pp, or $161 after bonus round before tax and tip, it’s still a very solid and enjoyable option unless you’re willing to venture out to Encino or pay an extra $60+ before t&t for top tier LA sushi.

sashimi platter

seattle fanny bay oyster, san diego uni, ikura
uni is overwhelmed here but loved the briny fanny bay oyster

amaebi / spot prawn
amaebi is firm and sweet but why didn’t they fry the head or make a soup out of it?!

amberjack / kanpachi

chutoro / bluefin medium fatty tuna
unctous but has a slight gristle problem

pickled ginger time…you know the drill

hotate / hokkaido scallop

is this any good? @beefnoguy

ankimo gunkan maki/ monkfish liver battleship sushi
relative smooth but who am i kidding? ankimo ain’t the same anymore after SGO’s transcendental experience. need to MAGA…make ankimo great again

shima aji / stripped jack

sake / king salmon
rich, smooth, firm flesh…best bite of the night

uni sampler

bafun uni / hokkaido sea urchin
still rich but oddly muted…perhaps I’m used to a higher uni to rice ratio

san diego uni / san diego sea urchin
not as sweet as the santa barbara varietal…but higher level of salinity

aji / spanish mackarel
let’s just say it’s a great time to have aji right now

Gindara / black cod
slightly seared…very clean and mild tasting

red snapper miso soup
an odd time to offer soup?

tuna sampler (from R to L)
a. maguro / bluefin tuna - no gristle
b. chu toro / medium fatty bluefin tuna - slight gristle problem
c. o toro / fatty bluefin tuna - extra gristle

zuwagani, kanimiso / snow crab with tomalley
love the kanimiso

hirame, engawa / halibut with halibut fin
anyone ever have them together? there’s definitely a texture contrast but i would prefer to have them one by one

negitoro donburi & ikura / chopped fatty tuna and ikura over sushi rice

anago / sea eel
slightly too soft for me

tamago / grilled egg
like a sponge cake

yuzu sorbet
with the sorbet being so broken up and icy, they should’ve called it a granita…

Bonus Round:

iwashi / sardine
love these fishy hikarimono…wish they had more

maguro maki
slight problem with the slanted cut

anago temaki / sea eel handroll

ankimo / monkfish liver

hotate / hokkaido scallop

ugh! brandless!

Yasu Beverly Hills
265 S Robertson Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

8 Likes

@beefnoguy

3 Likes

Give them a little time. The neta selection will get better. Hopefully.

2 Likes

Thanks for the exploration the 130 pp sounds pretty good for bev hills hopefully they’ll get better with time def on my list.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about that nori package but if the nori sheets are toasted/warmed to be extra crispy and they smell super aromatic even when made into gunkan sushi, hosomaki or temaki, then generally should be a good one, but places that do and serve that kind of too quality are rare to begin with, especially if they match and elevate the quality and taste of the seafood served.

1 Like

Wow that toilet is atrocious

2 Likes

Thanks for reviewing. I was wondering about that place. However, based on your review, I think I would rather go back to Inn Ann. It’s more elegant and you also have the option of some amazing cooked dishes. Yasu is more geographically convenient to me, but based on your review nothing is screaming out to me that I have to try it.

Once they find their sea legs and add on additional neta and prep work, I think they’ll do quite well…unless they fold before then!

1 Like

Didn’t really enjoy my omakase at yasu. Like @moonboy403 i had zac-san for my itamae, even though yasu was present he was in “the back” all night. Which I found pretty odd to open up an eponymous restaurant and not even serve customers in your opening week.

The shari was too sweet and sticky for my taste and the knife work needs… work. Neta selection was limited with only one hikarimono, they didn’t even have cucumber to make anakyu.

The service was friendly but i had to ask for an oshibori and to clean up my clumsy soy sauce spill.

da FUK?!
This hotate was holier than the pope.

2 Likes

Unfortunate. Death watch starting…

1 Like

Patio omakase anyone?

I hereby coin the term “patiomakase”…

2 Likes

Ha. Good one.