YESS - Arts District

What’s the ranking on the porkybelly 2023 list (which has only 11/12 of the data today)?

1 Like

doesn’t even rank on my best of 2023 and 11/12th list.

6 Likes

Does YESS have access to a big marketing machine?

1 Like

Judging by the fact that they don’t even have a real website probably not

I doubt it. they’re eclectic, zen and catnip for critics.

4 Likes

God my resolve is weakening. Mackerel caught off the coast is so tempting

2 Likes

Who owns or started yess? I feel like someone knows enough people to get this place false hype. You gotta earn the hype and I’ll wait until then. Next. Lol

Respectfully, eye of the beholder, which is part of what makes this forum aka bullshitting about food fun. Yess didn’t work for me, but the handful of chefs/food professionals I know love it. Special treatment maybe. I have noticed that ‘professionals’ are much less price sensitive than us civilians. They also, from my biased, anecdotal observations, fetishize ingredient quality and (understandably) love Japanese food. And when you’re known to a restaurant, you get feted in a way regular guests don’t.

But yeah, there’s a big professional civilian divide with this place.

6 Likes

It just makes me want to visit this place even more now :joy:I’m so curious to the detriment of my wallet

3 Likes

godspeed

4 Likes

yess, “favorite restaurant of the year”

2 Likes

Yess is my favorite restaurant in LA at the moment. Favorite in the sense that it’s the restaurant I most look forward to returning to. Not necessarily the “best.” But certainly better than you all are making it out to be.

!

3 Likes

was the quality of the peas worth the cost of 9 peapods/$16 or ~20cents/pea?

2 Likes

Yeah, absolutely. I’ve never eaten peas straight from the pod like that. It was a treat. But more like 40 cents a pea I think.

1 Like

Someone tell Dave he’s been hacked.

1 Like

I’m not a frugal guy. I just don’t have it in me much to my chagrin a lot of the time. I’m what they euphemistically call “spendy” when they mean “stupid with money.” Having said that, even I laughed my ass off at these idiotic, insulting prices.

2 Likes

Yess continues to serve a uniquely light and minimalist cuisine that I find refreshing. It reminds me of the song Opening by Philip Glass. But sadly I think its days are numbered. If it can’t catch on here it can’t catch on anywhere.

5 Likes
7 Likes

lmao this review rules

Our first sip of this punitively tart, seaweed-infused lemonade was the closest we’ve gotten to a sitcom-style spit take in real life. Despite looking like standard lemonade, it somehow tastes like a wet dog smells

7 Likes