Yu Bo and Bistro LQ

Just got this from Chef’s newsletter:

It’s been a whole year in the making, and we can finally announce that Chef Yu Bo and LQ will host a once-in-a-lifetime lifetime collaborative dinner! Chef Yu Bo has built an incredible reputation in his native China, and a year ago he relocated to Los Angeles.
We will be hosting 24 guests per night at the historic Normandie Hotel, in the heart of Koreatown, on November 8, 9, 15, 16. Guests can look forward to 24 amuses - 14 courses of Alba white truffles - 2 Vacherin cheese tastings - 3 desserts, and wine pairings. We will release the tickets to the public at the end of the week. We already have a wait-list of 50 guests on pre-order so join them for what promises to be an absolutely magical night!

3 Likes

Link?
I mean, I know. Google and all. But . . . I’m lazy.
Thanks!

There is none. The only info seems to be from the email he sends out, which I copied and pasted. I noodled around his website hoping to get pricing, etc., but no dice. His website needs to be overhauled. It’s really difficult to navigate. Any case, I’ll check at the end of the week, when he says tickets will be released and try to update. Nov. 8-9 are sold out. Only thing I found was a pic on his insta. https://www.instagram.com/lqfoodings/?hl=en

http://bistrolq.com/lq-foodings

3 Likes

From his personal FB page, it’s going to be 24 amuse, 14 courses of white Alba truffles, 2 vacherin courses, and 3 desserts. But no price yet.

It’s going to be between 400-500

$500 per person with wine paring and $430 per person if you want to BYOB(ottles). Corkage will be $35 per bottle with a 2 bottle minimum. The $430 tickets are already sold out for November 9th.

2 Likes

Clean up on aisle 5

3 Likes

Boy, that was some serious redacting…too bad, the discussion about spending was entertaining in a train-wreck sort of way!

1 Like

Dang it I missed the discussion altogether… #asIwaitformyhowlinraystomaterialize

3 Likes

Agree!

dang i missed some drama!?

going on the 16th for a birthday celebration. Looking forward to it. Definitely the priciest LQ meal i’ve been to, probably Yu Bo’s influence. His meal in China back in the day was $400usdpp. But looking forward to eating LQ’s food in a professional kitchen again - been awhile

Well, aside from 9 amuse, there will be 14 courses with white alba truffles, 2 vacherin courses and 3 desserts.

Anyone go this past weekend? Saw one person on ig post the menu and some dishes. Seemed like a ton of food. Apparently service ran from 7pm to 1am

I did.
Epic.
Still digesting and semi-hibernating.
Will try to write it up later…

6 Likes

Ours ran from 6:45pm to about 11:00pm. And it was a lot of food. They even said that they reduced the portion sizes a bit from opening night.

good good. I don’t think I can sit through a 5 hour dinner even with 2 btls of wine per person

Oh, and there was plenty of wine. They refilled our glasses if we allowed them to. I knew I should have Lyfted to the dinner.

1 Like

Here’s my amateurish foodie review of the dinner.

November 9, 2019 – Collaboration dinner between Chef Yu Bo (originally from Chengdu. Sichuan, China) and Chef Laurent Quenioux of Bistro LQ/LQ Foodings took place this last 2 weekends at a dining hall inside Hotel Normandie in Koreatown. The central ingredient throughout the dinner was Alba White Truffles, which were wonderfully aromatic and flavorful. The dinner began with 6 amuse bouche from Chef Yu, paired 7 amuse from Chef Quenioux . I found out about Chef Yu Bo from an episode of Andrew Zimmern’s “Bizarre Foods,” Chengdu episode, featuring Yu’s Family Kitchen and Chef Yu Bo’s elaborate dinners that can feature up to 40 courses. Ever since that episode, I’ve been dreaming of having one of Chef Yu Bo’s dinners, and tonight may be the closest I’ll get to one of those 40 course dinners.

I borrowed my friend’s Fuji XT 20 camera, which takes excellent pictures. Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience with this camera, I wasn’t able to take all sharp pictures. Some have come out blurry. Below are the 6 amuse from Chef Yu Bo, and what he is known for – the meticulous preparation of simple vegetable dishes that look so elegant and have such clean flavors.

Below: First & Second Amuse – Bitter Melon with Litsea Oil by Chef Yu Bo (Left), and Bitter Melon Grecque Style by Chef Quenioux (Right). Light, crunchy and very refreshing.

Below: First & Second Amuse – Bitter Melon with Litsea Oil by Chef Yu Bo (Left), and Bitter Melon Grecque Style by Chef Quenioux (Right).

Third & Fourth Amuse – Silk Ribbon Snake Beans in Ginger Sauce by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Blue Crab Gingered Achard by Chef Quenioux (R). The beans were quite spicy, and the diners around me found the spice level a bit too much for them.

Third & Fourth Amuse – Silk Ribbon Snake Beans in Ginger Sauce by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Blue Crab Gingered Achard by Chef Quenioux ( R).

Fifth & Sixth Amuse – Snow White Coral Roll by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Pate Croute Grouse by Chef Quenioux (R) . Love the light and refreshing aspects of the coral roll. The flavor was familiar but was not able to picture what the whole vegetable looked like.

Fifth & Sixth Amuse – Snow White Coral Roll by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Pate Croute Grouse by Chef Quenioux ( R).

Seventh & Eight Amuse – Sparrow’s Wing Broccoli by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Petit Gris Snail Anticucho by Chef Quenioux (R). Loved the knife work with the broccoli stem, as the slivers are sliced evenly and staggered so that it resembles the feathers on a sparrow’s wing.

Seventh & Eight Amuse – Sparrow’s Wing Broccoli by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Petit Gris Snail Anticucho by Chef Quenioux (R).

Ninth & Tenth Amuse – Pickled Endive Sprout by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Braised Endive Chipotle Cotija by Chef Quenioux (R). Love not only the contrast in textures between the two amuse but also the flavors (one subtle, the other full and rich).

Ninth & Tenth Amuse – Pickled Endive Sprout by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Braised Endive Chipotle Cotija by Chef Quenioux (R).

Eleventh & Twelfth Amuse – Tomatoes with Aged Mandarin Peel Powder by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Mandarin Truffle Honey by Chef Quenioux (R). Bottom picture features the dried Mandarin peels used for some of the dishes.

Eleventh & Twelfth Amuse – Tomatoes with Aged Mandarin Peel Powder by Chef Yu Bo (L), and Mandarin Truffle Honey by Chef Quenioux(R). Below are the dried Mandarin peels used for some of the dishes.

Thirteenth Amuse – Smoked Haddock Potato Ball over Black Garlic Congee by Chef Quenioux . The pairing of Western flavors with Eastern flavors. Loved this amuse. I could eat half a dozen of these.

Thirteenth Amuse – Smoked Haddock Potato Ball over Black Garlic Congee by Chef Quenioux

Entrees and Desserts Menu. Here is where we are spoiled with an abundance of Alba White Truffles shaved or grated onto the dishes, plus the use of luxury ingredients such as spiny lobsters, A5 Wagyu Beef from Japan, abalone, and uni.

First and Second Courses – Mapo Tofu/Avocado/Abalone by Chef Yu Bo (Top), and Abalone/Arborio Rice/Uni by Chef Quenioux (Bottom). Great start to the main section of dinner – always loved abalone, and the truffles were pungent and quite flavorful. The mapo tofu flavor was different from what I’ve tasted at Sichuanese restaurants, and the spiciness of the dish was unapologetic. Much spicier than mapo tofu dishes I’ve had at restaurants as well.

First and Second Courses – Mapo Tofu/Avocado/Abalone by Chef Yu Bo (Top), and Abalone/Arborio Rice/Uni by Chef ( Quenioux ( Bottom).

Third and Fourth Courses – Fish Fragrant Lobster by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Pacific Lobster/Mango/Ginger/Avocado/Yuzu Vinaigrette by Chef Quenioux (B). Lobsters were delicious, and I love the knife work on the slices of raw cucumber that resemble green leaves from a plant.

Third and Fourth Courses – Fish Fragrant Lobster by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Pacific Lobster/Mango/Ginger/Avocado/Yuzu Vinaigrette by Chef Quenioux (B).

Fifth & Sixth Courses – Black Code/Pickled Mustard Greens by Chef Yu Bo (T), and North Sea Yellow Cod/Chicken Broth/Fennel Two Ways/Crosnes by Chef Quenioux (B). Love the delicateness of both the black cod and the yellow cod. While Chef Yu Bo’s broth was lighter, Chef Quenioux’s had a much bolder flavor to the broth.

Fifth & Sixth Courses – Black Code/Pickled Mustard Greens by Chef Yu Bo (T), and North Sea Yellow Cod/Chicken Broth/Fennel Two Ways/Crosnes by Chef Quenioux (B).

Seventh & Eighth Courses – Chicken Tofu by Chef Yu Bo (T), and DGR Quail/Persimmon Chutney/Celery Root Slaw by Chef Quenioux (B). The one dish that didn’t seem to work for many of the diners due to the the very subtle flavor of the poached chicken, plus the grainy texture of it as the chicken is supposed to mimic soft tofu in subtle flavor and texture.

Seventh & Eighth Courses – Chicken Tofu by Chef Yu Bo (T), and DGR Quail/Persimmon Chutney/Celery Root Slaw by Chef Quenioux (B).

Ninth & Tenth Courses – Wild Wood Pigeon with Sweet Paste by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Scottish Wood Pigeon/Huckleberry/Chanterelles/Fig Tatin by Chef Quenioux (B). Chef Yu Bo’s pigeon was delicious. I’m not a big fan of pigeon, but I can devour several of these. Very flavorful tender square bits of pigeon meat, with a hint of the Mandarin peel, countered by the crunchiness of the pine nuts.

Ninth & Tenth Courses – Wild Wood Pigeon with Sweet Paste by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Scottish Wood Pigeon/Huckleberry/Chanterelles/Fig Tatin by Chef Quenioux (B).

Eleventh & Twelfth Courses – Steamed Pork Belly/Jasmine Rice by Chef Yu Bo (T), and DGR Braised Pork Shank/Sweet Potato/Pomegranate/Tokyo Turnips by Chef Ninth & Tenth Courses – Wild Wood Pigeon with Sweet Paste by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Scottish Wood Pigeon/Huckleberry/Chanterelles/Fig Tatin by Chef Quenioux (B). (B). At this point, some of us were starting to get full, and these next few courses took a bit of effort to eat. Unfortunately, when you’re full, your palate changes and does not pick up the nuances in flavors of the food you eat. However, Chef Quenioux’s braised pork shank was delicious. I look at this as a play on the Vietnamese spring/summer roll. Chef Yu Bo’s pork belly was accompanied by a bowl with a light broth and a piece of baby leek heart floated on top.

Eleventh & Twelfth Courses – Steamed Pork Belly/Jasmine Rice by Chef Yu Bo (T), and DGR Braised Pork Shank/Sweet Potato/Pomegranate/Tokyo Turnips by Chef Quenioux (B).

Thirteenth & Fourteenth Courses – Sauteed A5 Wagyu Beef by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Flannery Wagyu Rib Cap/Torchon/Leeks by Chef Quenioux (B). I managed to take one photo of the Sauteed A5 Wagyu Beef before the camera went out. I had drained out the battery. So, I had to resort to using my iPhone and the ProCam app to take the remaining pictures. With no time to play with the settings, I started taking pictures. Most of the photos came out grainy, dark, and blurry. (Remember to borrow the spare battery pack as well next time!) Both beef dishes were delicious. Chef Yu Bo’s beef was crispy on the outside and so tender on the inside. Chef Quenioux’s dish was highlighted by the creamy torchon that sat on top of the rib cap. I just wished I wasn’t full so that I could have enjoyed these dishes better.

Thirteenth & Fourteenth Courses – Sauteed A5 Wagyu Beef by Chef Yu Bo (T), and Flannery Wagyu Rib Cap/Torchon/Leeks by Chef Quenioux (B).

Cheese Course with a Swiss and French Vacherins and a Truffle Brioche by Chef Quenioux. Chef Quenioux is known for his cheese cart that features over 30 varieties of cheese from Europe and North America that is rolled out to tables at some of his pop-up dinners for those who want a cheese course added to their tasting. Cheese are then served and garnished tableside. I loved the French vacherin as it had a more pronounced flavor to the Swiss, which was much more subtle.

Cheese Course with a Swiss and French Vacherins and a Truffle Brioche by Chef Quenioux.

Desserts – Truffle Cremeux/Sichuan Peppercorn Ice Cream (L), Chestnut Fontaine Bleau (Center), and Rose Mountain Apple/Apple Mousseline (R). These were a collaboration from both chefs.

Desserts – Truffle Cremeux/Sichuan Peppercorn Ice Cream (L), Chestnut Fontaine Bleau (Center), and Rose Mountain Apple/Apple Mousseline (R).

Wine Pairing for Tonight’s Dinner

8 Likes

I hadn’t realized that spiny lobster had become a luxury item. Used to be an obscure local item with not much of a market.

Love seeing a Lopez de Heredia in there for the wine pairing and a Sherry, I had that lustau recently as well. Love Spanish wines.

Thanks for the review! what were your over all impressions of the night?