Yu Bo Sichuan Style Banquet Dinner (Impressions added to certain courses)

You’re asserting SGV rents are now comparable to those on La Cienega between Burton and Wilshire?

I don’t disagree, and I’m quite happy that the old “follow the money vs. follow the Chinese stomach” is becoming much less of a dichotomy than it has been, historically.

The “rich” people in the SFBA are largely Chinese in the tech industry, so I disagree with this. If you go to Benu or Saison or Manresa or whatnot, on any night the dining room will be reliably at least half Chinese. The same is not true in LA, as sources of wealth (and their ethnicities) are much more varied.

In any case, Yu Bo was charging over 125 in CHENGDU (at least 150 iirc) so there’s no way he’s only charging that. He may need to go over 200 to make it work, which would put in the same category as Somni, Vespertine, Urasawa, etc.

Being of Chinese background doesn’t mean someone has a deep knowledge of and appreciation for sophisticated Chinese cuisine, or is willing to pay for it. The differences in quality and variety between greater LA and the SFBA speak for themselves.

Did you get that vibe from my post? Don’t put words in my mouth by going to the extreme end of the spectrum.

No I am not “asserting” SGV commercial rents are on the level of what you mentioned. Considering I’ve been looking at potential restaurants spaces all over the eastside where it is getting popular I wouldn’t pay what they are asking in SGV because I’m not a restaurateur who has to be in an area with mostly Chinese customers and is not willing to pay for that neighborhood trait. I’ve seen lower rates in Koreatown and far better rates in Chinatown for what I would want to do.

Perhaps my palate is unsophisticated, but I didn’t really have many firework moments that night. Even at the $125 price point, it puts Yu Bo against a very stiff competition in LA in terms of pure enjoyment of flavor. At $200, that’s another game altogther…

Yes, of course it does. LA may have better quality and variety of Chinese food, BUT not at the high end, which is what we are discussing . The Chinese community (which understands Chinese food) in the SFBA is on average much more affluent than the Chinese community in LA, and they are willing to pay a larger amount of money for Chinese food. Regrettably, this means that authentic Chinese restaurants are more expensive on average in the bay area.

His flavors are very subtle, not what one would expect from a Sichuan (or any Chinese chef). But
that’s the problem. $125 is considered at the top of the pack in LA, while in SF $125 for a tasting menu is not considered high at all.

Correct. Subtle yet complex but very little firework. I remember thinking that I definitely appreciate it but I’m not sure if I will crave for seconds

Top of the pack start at $200+ in general in LA.

Does the age of the diner have some influence on this? Or are “high end” diners in both places generally young(er)?

Which restaurants are you talking about?

To me, expensive Chinese restaurants that cater to customers with a deep knowledge of and appreciation for sophisticated, top-quality Chinese cuisine are something that SFBA residents mostly look forward to when visiting LA, Vancouver or China.

You are clearly not Chinese. This is false. SFBA residents do not look forward to going to LA for more expensive, sophisticated Chinese food. They may venture to LA for Chinese food, but the reason is usually because it is a better value at the lower end.

Just compare some popular restaurants. For a single datapoint–compare DTF prices between Arcadia and Cupertino, for the exact same dish the latter is almost double the price. The most expensive “Chinese” restaurant in Socal is probably Mr Chow or Hakkasan, which, as a Chinese, does not represent sophisticated or top-quality, sorry. (okay Hakkasan is actually quite sophisticated and not bad at all but not the most authentic. and of course, there is no reason to go to LA for it since SF has one EDIT: Hakkasan in LA closed due to lack to business, SF one is still around)

You clearly have not eaten much Chinese food in LA. I went to Earthen the other week.They have brand new menus with pictures. Every dish went up in price by $1 or so.

I’m following this thread and learning. Who are you replying to please?

Point of fact: Hakkasan Beverly Hills has been closed for quite some time now.

#allthatfinediningstartstolookallthesame #tacobreaksorelyneeded

Well I guess that further supports the point that expensive Chinese restaurants just won’t work well in LA. The most expensive one, mr Chows, caters to hollywood A-listers, not Chinese with sophisticated palates. LA has amazing Chinese food, but at the top price point range, I think SF is a better choice.

1 Like

I wouldn’t discount L.A. Look at the success and acclaim Hayato is getting. It’s carefully and thoughtfully executed food that’s unlike anything in the city. It’s $200 a head before beverages, tax, and tip…and it’s literally the hardest reservation to get in the city today. I hope that Chef Yu Bo can find the same success here. He would only add to our city’s rich culinary diversity.

1 Like

Japanese cuisine is looked at differently globally. The Chinese, including the local HK population, wouldn’t bat an eye paying for expensive Japanese food. But they have very little appetite for fine Chinese/Cantonese food in general.

1 Like

Whether you’re right or wrong about high end Chinese being supported here in LA is moot to this thread anyway since Yu Bo isn’t going to go to SF anyhow.

As far as whether Chinese fine dining will take hold in LA? I think the longterm chances are good but we don’t know when yet, Yu Bo may be the first and if he doesn’t work out then it may be too early but nobody can predict the future, we’re all just speculating to the best of our knowledge of local markets. So let’s just see how this plays out, no real point in arguing because we might not know for years to come.

3 Likes

Which is exactly what Yu Bo wants to change. Food-wise, Yu Bo may or may not be that messiah, but someone’s gotta fire the first salvo, and he’s as good a candidate as any to start changing perceptions.

1 Like