Yu Bo Sichuan Style Banquet Dinner (Impressions added to certain courses)

Is it wrong that I don’t even see it that way? If the care and thought put into the menu and food are outstanding, than there’s nothing else to consider. I’m game and willing to try it. I’m very much looking forward to what Chef Yu Bo is going to bring to L.A.

1 Like

I agree, but I hope he takes his time and does more pop-ups before diving in.

I think you need to go back and re-read my post that you replied to, as I’m not going to any extreme of a spectrum–I was talking about Restaurant Row in the first place. In that context, your response makes no sense, which is why I questioned what you were trying to say. There’s no need to pop off here.

There aren’t enough FTCers in LA though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Agreed. Good luck to chef yu in la. If he opens up it will immediately shoot to the top of restaurants I want to visit in LA.

My points were mainly re robert’s misguided comments regarding the people in SFBA, and the ridiculous suggestion that we look forward to expensive Chinese restaurants when we go to LA (in fact, the exact opposite…i’m looking to get my fix of dtf at half the price). A large number of Chinese and Chinese-Americans in the Bay are affluent and appreciate fine dining and sophisticated Chinese cuisine; as a matter of fact these are the diners that keep most of our fine dining spots, Chinese or not-Chinese, afloat. At least we have Benu, Eight Tables, Jai Yun, Mister Jiu’s, Hakkasan…what’s the most sophisticated Chinese or Chinese-inspired restaurant in LA? Wolfgang Puck’s place? Mr Chows? A far cry from anything in SF. There is nightshade and Kato but I would consider them far less Chinese than the places in SF. LA is an incredible Chinese food city, with indisputably more authentic options than SF, but it’s not expensive or sophisticated, and that’s totally fine.

2 Likes

By the way, an interesting article. “The shift can be traced from the Bay Area down to L.A” The article describes how two LA chefs Jon Yao and Mei Lin are trying to pave the way for fine dining “Chinese” in LA because they are inspired by what Corey Lee and Brandon Jew did in San Francisco.

Maybe there is some correlation to how high end Korean is thriving in NYC with places like Atoboy, Atomix and Jungsik. LA has a much larger Korean population and the best Korean food in the US. It took us forever to even get a Dave Chang restaurant.

Seems similar to our discussion on high end Chinese. I believe there are more Chinese people in LA than SF and most would agree that overall Chinese food is better in LA.

Maybe LA is working its way around to higher end versions of the classic, more “authentic” food. When there are so many great options for the traditional stuff if you’re bringing a $200 prix fixe dinner it better be really good. I wouldn’t want to pay that much for a very good version of sulleongtang or galbi jjim if I could go down the street and get the best version for a fraction of the price.

2 Likes

Nightshade, Kato, and Benu aren’t really Chinese restaurants. They’re Cal-Michelin fine dining with Chinese influence. Though maybe what Yu Bo has in mind is something more like Benu.

Mr. Jiu’s is definitely a Chinese restaurant, specifically Chinese-American, but done in a fine-dining, farm-to-table style. It’s not really all that upscale, though.

To quote the article in full:

Elements typically absent from traditional Chinese restaurants — tasting menus, an emphasis on service, luxe decor, innovative cocktail menus and wine pairings — are also showing up. The shift can be traced from the Bay Area down to L.A., and from the San Gabriel Valley westward.

What is the state of high-end dining in the SGV these days?

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/yu-bo-sichuan-legend-plans-new-restaurant-los-angeles

Yu Bo reportedly moved to the SGV a year ago, so it seems like a question of when and where he’s going to open his restaurant, not whether.

That’s incorrect.

1 Like

Do mainland chinese college and high school students in the Bay live in a house and drive a luxury car like we have down here in Southern California?

For real! The mainland, HK, and Taiwanese kids I went to college with years ago came here and were living at the Medici while driving Mercedes and BMWs back and forth. That kind of money was no joke…and they always went to SGV to eat because there were few options downtown.

1 Like

In the suburbs, probably. In SF proper they live in expensive condos and take Uber.

Yes, of course. How did you know? :stuck_out_tongue: The international Chinese college students are just as rich. (There shouldn’t be any difference there if you think about it, why would they only go to LA, we have many colleges too). Except they don’t stand out as much in SFBA because the older Chinese community is also quite rich too. Look at some of the median salary numbers of Chinese Americans–they are mindblowing.

I don’t frequent expensive restaurants in LA–but is most of the crowd Chinese too, like in SF?

The LA times article clearly implies that the LA fine Chinese scene started from SF. That was the whole gist of the article, I hope you got it. The article you linked is a good article, but the article itself admits these restaurants aren’t upscale in the traditional sense. In SFBA, their prices wouldn’t be considered high at all (the dinner entrees run in the $20 and more category). Additionally, several of the examples listed, including the first two, are closed.

Can you even name a single expensive, sophisticated, Chinese restaurant in LA? So I hope you understand we are not going to LA for sophisticated, expensive Chinese food.

That kind of show of ostentatious wealth would be considered gauche by some segments of SF ‘society.’

I read about them on this board now and then but they never sound worth the trouble and money, especially given alternatives like Chengdu Taste.

Bistro Na’s? Newport Seafood? Opal? Yu Bo’s house?

Can you name one anywhere in the SF Bay Area besides Hakkasan?

Newport Seafood is not expensive or sophisticated

1 Like

USC? :wink:

But presumably not the segments that just came over from China. :wink:

1 Like

There really aren’t any.