Yuko Kitchen - A Neighborhood Spot

Yuko Kitchen / Mid-Wilshire

A shout-out to a beloved neighborhood spot.

I normally don’t start threads for a single restaurant; preferring to leave it to the Magellans. But we frequent this little spot and have been wanting to give a shout. With the opening of a new locale in DTLA this seems like a good time.

Yuko Kitchen is a Japanese “mom and pop”… If “mom and pop” were a hip lady and her young crew serving affordable, Japanese comfort food with a nod to other L.A. cultures - in a little spot that seems more 70’s Haight Ashbury than Tokyo.

Tasty Minced Beef Bowl - Ground Beef, Green Peppers, Spicy Miso, Greens & Rice

Hubby’s Favorite

Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl

Really tender white meat, dusted with flour or cornstarch before sautéing gives it a nice, golden exterior :yum:.

Taco Rice Bowl - Ground Beef, Chickpeas, Cucumber, Avocado, White & Green Onions, Cucumbers, Salsa, Radish, Jalapeños, Sour Cream, Crispy Wonton Strips, Rice & Greens

We’ve been discussing the practice of “gentrifying ethnic foods” calling it fusion and charging more. What does it mean when one “ethnic” group fuses with another “ethnic” group? If it’s done right I call it yummy :yum:.

Behold the “Bowl-lito” - Japanese-Burrito

Teriyaki Chicken, Cucumber, Avocado, Greens, Rice, Nori, Spicy Mayo. They can be a little secretive about exact ingredients, but I detect an extra somethin’ in the spicy mayo, fish sauce perhaps :thinking:.

Chicken & Vegetable Udon (Hot) - Chicken, Cabbage, Leaks, Udon Noodles & Mother’s Secret Soup (dashi)

Always comforting.

Apple Mint Lemonade w/Crushed Ice

A Case of Seasonals

They also have a tasty dessert case

Yuko Kitchen can be a little cramped during the day, resulting in a lot of take-out; I don’t even want to think about what the kitchen is like. But during less busy hours the patio seating is a nice respite from the chaos that is Wilshire Blvd.

Meals are about $23.00 + tip. for two ppl. Not bad.

For those who care: they serve in ceramic/glass (not melamine) bowls and takeout is in paper not styrofoam :wink:.

Yuko Kitchen
5484 Wilshire Blvd
(entrance on dunsmuir)
Los Angeles, CA 90036

7 Likes

Nice tip. Those rice bowls and me would get along just fine. I think @MaladyNelson endorses Yuko as well.

3 Likes

… as do I.

4 Likes

They call it okinawan food!

4 Likes

The downtown location offers a nice Happy Hour, with a pretty fun strawberry cocktail, as well as sake!

2 Likes

I just love this board. Who knew? You apparently… and a few others I’m sure. The multicultural coolness of Okinawa is an interest of mine. So thanks!

Ahhh… drinks! Very cool.

I used to eat here all the time when I worked down the street. Only had the vegetarian items – the veggie bowlito is REALLY good. Used to also get avocado on crispy rice and the tofu rice bowl. Good stuff. Their cookies are also really good and with Milk Jar Cookies just a few shops away, they still stood out as impressive. And I loved the strawberry drink. Good place, I def recommend it!

1 Like

Been going for many years for lunch, work just couple blocks away. Quite serviceable every day food. GF insists we pick up from there on LACMA jazz nights when she’s not in the mood to prepare a picnic. Many hangovers involve their udon (too salty tho)

Sad OP didn’t include the picture of bathroom ladder.

???

Re: Okinawan Food

Habuya Okinawan Dining in Tustin

2 Likes

the second bathroom requires some climbing

3 Likes

That seems really yummy. Once avocados are at their best I’m all over it. Thanks!

Okay Homie. I’ve said this before, we’re bound to meet up sometime. We go to the same stomping grounds. I’m with your girl. Sometimes having to prepare, pack and lug all the stuff is a deterrent, especially on a Friday eve :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But eating and drinking from their vendors is just not the same. Yuko sounds like a good option. Thanks!

OMG… I never noticed. Apparently I’m the only one. I just showed this to my husband. He said “Yep, seen it”. That’s a crack-up.

Next time I go behind the Orange Curtain I’m dragging my Okinawan cousins there. They’ve possibly already been. Thanks!

1 Like

Yea Cookie, roll up in May when we’re on the blanket. She loves to cook and pack a nice picnic, she usually doesn’t work Fridays. Sometimes she does though. And we ever never touch their vendor drinks.

1 Like

Great. I’ll message you. Free Jazz in a cool, outdoor setting at the museum :sunglasses:. Even if you’re not a jazz lover it’s a good time.

So lucky to have one decent bistro to grab food from in the area on work days

2 Likes