Zankou Chicken

I’d already been wanting to try this when Debra came out, so for over 20 years. Finally came across the one at Sunset & Normandie last Saturday night, they were closing so nothing available but a shwarma wrap, which was not great except for the toum, which lived up to its reputation.

On my way home on the 5 the next day I stopped at the one in Valencia for lunch. If I’ve had better rotisserie chicken it was in Italy. Turnip pickles good. Tomatoes meh. Pita acceptable. Hummus was too bland until I added some toum, then it was good.

If I lived near one I’d have their toum in the fridge all the time. Contrary to widespread belief I’m pretty sure there’s no potato in it.

5 Likes

Zankou is really hit or miss. Intra-location and Inter-location you can get a wonderful bird or a crappy bird.

3 Likes

Yes but then you slather it in the garlic and it’s perfect

3 Likes

Warrior: There is a new location downtown. It is remarkably well-managed, a well-oiled machine. I actually prefer the falafel and tabbouleh to any of the chicken offerings, but everything at Zankou is solid. It will be popular for lunch if and when the Westsiders get over their Covid phobia and get back to work downtown. If you’re bored sometime, read the sordid history of Zankou Chicken. I view it as a core part of the LA dining fabric.

2 Likes

Pretty much only crappy birds for the last eleven years. They are a staple for second meals when a shoot goes over twelve hours. A lot of dry chicken during that time. Even the toum doesn’t help.

3 Likes

Had no idea but this stuff is insane…

1 Like

the one on sunset near fairfax is always good, well pre-covid. can’t vouch for it after covid,

1 Like

I like the skin.

I remember reading the L.A. Mag article when it came out. Tragic. That’s why different locations are owned by different family members.

5 Likes

I’ll take the lemon garlic rotisserie chicken from Gelson’s EVERY time over Zankous. Always so juicy and tasty and quite the bargain at like $10 for the whole bird.

1 Like

I’ll roast my own chicken but making toum is so much work …

I’ll take Pollo Ala Brasa, Chicken Maison and Dino’s over Zankou. Let’s be real it’s all about the toum at Zankou.

6 Likes

Which is $7.50 for a large tub to go.

1 Like

Thanks to @Dommy I learned about Trader Joe’s garlic spread which is just as good for me. A tub of that when I make my own roasted chicken or get somewhere else and I’m good to go.

4 Likes

Bargain considering who wants to peel a ton of garlic lol

1 Like

If you’re ever in Glendale next time, be sure to try the toum at Mini Kabob. It’s insane. Zankou’s tastes like nothing compared to Mini Kabob’s.

4 Likes

Warrior: Zankou is an LA institution that I can get behind. Everything is decent quality. Today’s chicken kabob, falafel, hummus, tabbouleh, tahini spread, garlic sauce, and basmati rice were all solid. Zankou isn’t in the running for best Lebanese / Armenian in town, but I see nothing to complain about. I want to give the DTLA staff credit. In multiple visits, I’ve been impressed by their cheerfulness, diligence, and can-do attitude. They are exceptional, and it means a lot.

Peony: I enjoyed the food in the new DTLA Zankou Chicken location a lot. The chicken was very tender and moist. The falafel has good texture. I also like their tahini sauce, which is quite flavorful.

3 Likes

Agreed, Mini Kabob’s toum is the best I’ve ever had, it has a zing and acidity that’s really memorable and addictive!

4 Likes

located in which section? butter, cheese?

Usually with the hummus and other dips. TJ’s toum and some pita bread makes me a happy camper when I am feeling lazy

3 Likes