Any great Live Jazz venues around L.A.?

The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach or the earlier one which I think was in Hollywood? I did go to the Hermosa rendition. It was nothing compared with Howard Rumsey’s Concerts by the Sea.

2 Likes

The Lighthouse still is and always was in Hermosa Beach! still presents jazz weekend brunch hours and wed 6-9pm

2 Likes

Used to go to Sunday brunches here and watch The Bobby White Quartet and some improv. Good times!

Thanks @lapizzamaven @Novelli :slight_smile:

How do you like the Lighthouse overall, and how’s the Brunch menu?

2 Likes

I like the Lighthouse…its an important institution in the LA jazz scene and as such, I support it and the musicians who play there…food is not something likely to attract “Hounds”…basically, I see omelettes, burgers, fries, other fried appetizers…it’s def about the music…no cover…if you dig jazz, you should go…if food is the determining factor, Id look elsewhere

1 Like

Vibrato is not a “listening” room…most people are there yapping and drinking and eating…a shame since a “musician,” Herb Alpert owns it

dude, did herb alpert run over your dog or something? we get it, you dont like the club, and it sounds like you dont like herb or his music, either. thats fine.
but “musician”? thats just fucking ignorant.

3 Likes

The Lighthouse is a mere shadow of its former self, when back in the day, (1960’s70’s) it was the go-to place for those major artists coming through town. See, (or “listen”) for example, Lee Morgan Live At The Lighthouse, Joe Henderson Live At The Lighthouse, etc. etc. etc. I saw McCoy Tyner with a sextet there in the late 1970’s and Chico Freeman, too. There was also the Parisian Room (LaBrea at Washington), Concerts By The Sea, Hop Singh’s, Catalina’s (when they were on Cahuenga) etc. etc. The town seemed to be unable to support more than one at a time.

…and notwithstanding the phone message at Hop Singh’s (“The foood is goood!”) none of 'em had very good food.

1 Like

the jazz scene in LA is shadow of its former self, not just the Lighthouse…as for Herb Alpert, he did un over my dog!

im sorry about your dog.

that said, one could also say the jazz scene just about everywhere is a shadow of its former self, whether herb was there decimating the local house pet population or not.

2 Likes

sadly true

I am hoping the Houston brothers find a spot to reopen the Piano bar -while not specifically a jazz joint I did manage to see Kamasi Washington weekly for a couple years with no cover. A lot of the other artists were high quality as well.

3 Likes

I bet the Kamasi Washington gig was great! Very cool!

1 Like

He would play with the rest of the ‘West Coast Get Down’ twice a week wed & sat I believe. Incredible, with a rotating cast of friends dropping in.

1 Like

it occurs to me there is live music outside at lacma during the summer.
ive been several times; parking is a drag but theres usually adult beverages to be had.
the music varies in style but ive seen jazz bands there.
its a very pleasant way to spend an evening.

1 Like

Food is nothing special. Average at best. My usual order was the griddled hot links with eggs over easy, fried potatoes, and a strong bloody mary. To me it was all about hanging out and enjoying a nice Sunday with music and drink.

1 Like

Salt’s Cure has a live jazz night. Also mondays at a spot downtown that i can’t remember for the life of me…

$20 cover at Blue whale on Saturday night. The crowd was pretty into the music but the mood was perhaps a bit too melancholy. Maybe just a product of the music. Glad to have checked it out.

The Mint is back! Not missing it this time. Last monday was wonderful

1 Like

i can’t believe i neglected to mention the baked potato.

and the richard glaser quartet plays sundays at the barkley in s.pas… i have yet to hear them play due to other obligations, but i’ve been invited to sing with them if i ever do show up (i know the drummer who also plays in the big butter jazz band & angel town combo)

they also have jazz at clifton’s. at various times, but they’re not great at putting up a schedule of who’s playing.

3 Likes