APL Restaurant

no people living, working above the restaurant may be the difference

Only 9 likes. I am heeding the collective wisdom brought forth by our fellow FTCers and canceling my APL reservation.

4 Likes

Ope… I’ve been meaning to ask if @J_L got his 10 likes? Nope… don’t go. We need to conserve your energy for more important missions.

So close, lol. :joy:

1 Like

To be fair to APL, he is not just a BBQ guy. In NYC, he actually opened an excellent steakhouse, though it was in a questionable venue.

I went to Robert’s steakhouse a few times (for the food, I swear!), and I liked it more than Peter Lugers (great steaks half the time, not so great the rest of the time).

Because of the food at Robert’s, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the opening of APL’s steakhouse. I respect the opinions of those who have gone, and maybe the food does suck, but I’m definitely going to try to make it out there sometime soon to see for myself. At the moment, my favorite place to get dry-aged steak in LA is probably Gwen. I might also have to try Cut, though I went to the Vegas location several years back and didn’t think it was a memorable experience.

7 Likes

The endless Chowhound thread was actually about a nectarine at Zuni, which was around half the price of the pastry chef’s creations.

Sounds like a destination I’ll have to check out… defense to the missus “but my trusty FTC’ers highly recommended the steak!!!”

Pete Wells is a treasure.

I don’t recall having a great steak ever at Peter Luger, and I have been there at least 5+ times.

Carnevino has the best dry aged steak in Vegas which APL is doing the meat I believe. But that place has lackluster sides, apps and desserts and the food is way over salted for me. Better off buying a nice dry aged steak and cooking it at home.

1 Like

Bruni wrote it.

1 Like

Lol, well, he is a treasure also. :slight_smile:

They’re both fun, and have a way with words.

3 Likes

Couldn’t resist trying APL for myself after all the controversy. I rather enjoyed the space and music. Tried to sell my friend on the short rib to no avail. We ordered:

The baguette: good – great butter

The burrata stone fruit: good but not enough fruit

The Caesar: excellent – loved the dressing

Lamb chops: excellent – wonderfully gamey

Ribeye: excellent with great funk from the aging

Creamed spinach: good but a little salty

Duck fat fries: okay but no duck fat flavor

The food was fine steakhouse fare but it will be hard to justify a return trip at that price point. Also, the restaurant was half empty on a Sunday night around 8pm – not a good sign for someplace so hotly anticipated.

5 Likes

Never mind the food. How was the knife?

6 Likes

Brave of you to go after all the negative reviews.

Can’t believe you didn’t order the LOLnions.

More positive than negative so far, unless you count the >150 comments by people who haven’t eaten there.

What’s the official score so far?

We know porkbelly and chowseeker have both documented sub par meals very well for us. Where are the trusted positive reviews?

1 Like

I trust few people’s reviews of seriously dry-aged beef. And he said he’d typically age for 100 days, so I’m thinking to try it in October.

2 to 1 against.

APL does a 270 day dry aged beef at Carnevino in Las Vegas.

That I’d like to try.
The place will survive the rocky start and I seriously doubt APL won’t grow this place into a winner.